Lafferty explains Gers exit

Kyle Lafferty admits he is excited about the challenge of playing for FC Sion after leaving Rangers.

The Northern Ireland international has signed a three-year deal at Sion after he rejected the transfer of his contract to Charles Green's newco version of the Ibrox outfit.

Lafferty, who is flying out to be unveiled as Sion's new signing on Monday, admitted his move left him with mixed emotions after seeing Rangers go into liquidation, but he is relishing the prospect of playing abroad.

"I am excited," Lafferty told Sky Sports News of his move to Sion. "I had a great four years at Rangers and have done what I came here to do - to win titles, win medals and score goals for my boyhood heroes.

"It was disappointing for everyone [Rangers going into liquidation], but it is a new challenge for me."

Kyle Lafferty Quotes of the week

"But it is the next chapter in my career and I am looking forward to it. I have already been over in Sion and it is a lovely place and they have got great expectations.

Disappointing

"It was disappointing for everyone [Rangers going into liquidation], but it is a new challenge for me.

"I have always wanted to play abroad and this is a chance and hopefully I can go out and win titles with Sion and add to my CV."

Lafferty admits he is saddened to see Rangers in the state they find themselves but he has backed the newco to help the club recover.

"I think every single player has tried their hardest to help the club," added Lafferty.

"Taking a wage cut, that was no problem for every single player, even the younger lads, but it is just sad to see the club getting liquidated. I think the newco will be up and flying soon with the players that are still there that I have known will be there for years to come.

"It is always going to be Rangers no matter what the name is, it has still got the same fans, same manager, same players that have stayed and Rangers is going to be around for a lot longer."

Sympathy

Lafferty also rejected suggestions a bust-up with Ally McCoist at the back end of last season played a part in his decision and he admits he feels sympathy for the manager for all the problems he has been forced to contend with.

"Everyone will be thinking the fall-out with the manager played a part in my decision, but me and the manager spoke and we are friends again and I would love to play under him again," continued Lafferty.

"He's had a tough year. I actually feel sorry for him.

"He is a great manager, he is one of the lads really, but his first job in charge isn't the way he wanted it to go, but he will be there and he will get the lads fired up for the challenge for whatever league they are in to win the title."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7859304/

3 min interview

That reads ok to be fair, until you remember that this guy has used our predicament to obtain a much better deal for himself than he could have got by staying loyal to the club and using the reduced transfer fee previously negotiated to help both the club and himself. Nobody would have wished him anything but the best had he done this, but his and his agents greed will forever leave a sour taste in all Rangers fans mouth.

I hope Sion dont mind waiting until March for him to start playing well, as it was only around that time of year he ever came good for us.