The Twitter Phenomenon

Another article from yours truly on @TheRangersStandard:

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk//index.php/articles/fan-culture/135-the-twitter-phenomenon

When the world's most powerful man uses a social network then we can safely surmise it's an important tool. OK, it can be questioned if Barack Obama is more influential than your average media mogul but the rampant rise of Twitter as the most accessible outlet for instant communication is a fascinating one. And when we consider the parochial nature of Scottish football (and society), it's no wonder it has really taken off in this country.

When I first signed up for Twitter a couple of years back I was cynical. Being in my thirties, I didn't really care all that much for social networks and had already dismissed the likes of Facebook as a domain for angst-ridden teenagers and gossiping housewives. Twitter seemed different though. It was punchier, more interactive, easier to use and it didn't take me long to get gathered up in the excitement. Did Celebrity X really just answer one of my questions? Did my local MSP just reply in minutes rather than months?

As the joint-administrator of a decade old Rangers fan website, the developing internet era has been an absorbing subject. From small isolated online communities at the start of the new millennium to large websites working together and independent supporter organisations being formed; the influence of the web has never been greater. Indeed, in the last year even the two Old Firm clubs have realised the power of social networking and both have accessible representatives taking an active part on a daily basis.

With the likes of Rangers giving Twitter debates the kind of credibility that some of the unofficial sites and forums perhaps didn't have previously, public interaction with fans has improved in a variety of ways. Add in more and more journalists and authority figures utilising the social networks as a resource, suddenly the perception of internet football fans as deranged â??zealotsâ?? isnâ??t applied as widely as it was previously. After all, how can a broadsheet journalist really stereotype if they themselves willingly gravitate to Twitter debates? Not to mention club players, managers and board directors.

The transformation of the perception of online football fans is worth examining. After all, it was only five years ago that Gordon Strachan described radio phone-in contributors as â??Kestrel drinking, devil dug owningâ?? neds. If such people were that low on the food-chain, where did that put those of us who enjoyed discussing the footballing issues of the day in an anonymous, unaccountable fashion?

Dismissing increasingly large numbers of the online supporting demographic was never going to be a sustainable argument though. Blogging was becoming increasingly influential and the fan groups that had risen from the ever-more politically aware internet fan-bases were now quoted widely in the mainstream media. The lager-swilling uncouth bigot had now become a suit-wearing metro-sexual that could hold their own on live TV shows.

This has never been more relevant in the current issue of the day â?? the failings of Rangers FC. Viral social campaigns, mass avatar â??Twibbonsâ?? and protest marches attended by up to ten thousand people are just some of the more obvious examples of effective lobbying weâ??ve seen of late. Itâ??s easy to see where such movements begin and these crusades really are the modern day equivalent of the pitchfork and torch lynch-mob. Justice is demanded instantly and, it often seems, served on the whim of such onslaughts.

In that sense, itâ??s perhaps valid to ask if weâ??re now in danger of going in the wrong direction. Although online communities are large and varied opinion is certainly reflected within them, is it fair to automatically conclude anything more than crude generalisations? Can a supporterâ??s organisation really judge all their membersâ?? thoughts? Can the media rely on popular bloggersâ?? apparent inside information? Are viral social campaigns really reflective of the majority?

For example it could be argued such agitations are often catalysed by the media themselves towards their preferred outcome of that particular day. Weâ??ve seen clumsy surveys published as scientific studies; weâ??ve seen politicians wearing partisan â??Twibbonsâ?? and weâ??ve seen ill-informed pseudo-journalists given hours of air-time without ever seeing real evidence of their claims. Where before we could have some semblance of restraint, is it now a case we have societyâ??s gamekeeper turned poacher?

Generally speaking though, the rise of the social networks has been a valuable one. Fans are more in touch with their clubs. Citizens are more active in their communities. Awareness of the worldâ??s challenges has never been higher. From day late printed newspapers weâ??ve now moved to 24 hour, second-by-second coverage of any given situation. Itâ??s only natural football fans use such tools to offer their point of view. For the most part, despite observing the odd bit of mob-rule, such comment is reasoned and worthy. And thereâ??s no doubt such comment can influence change.

With that conclusion in mind, Rangers fans must learn to use all media channels more effectively and must take an active part in how these networks develop. The ongoing situation facing our club means this is even more important. We simply must have our voice heard. Even better if this is in an organised fashion so itâ??s imperative our constituent websites, fan organisations and club work together to convey coherent strategies for each issue that can arise. It could be argued that weâ??re a bit behind on that front but we can address that.

As the old adage goes, if you canâ??t beat them, join them.

Only one small problem Frankie, Rangers fans and one coherent voice are strangers in the night. Just look what happens when a so called legend ex-player opens his twitter mouth.

We've heard so many lies on the social Internet the average fan in the street can't tell the difference between night and day anymore, spoke to a fellow fan last night who could tell me Green has a deal in place to sell Ibrox on Monday just to stop Brown getting the club. When I asked him where he came by this nugget of info " it's all over the Internet mate" :facepalm:, you see my point.

The Internet is a dangerous weapon and like all dangerous weapons should be kept out of the hands of the mentally challenged, unfortunately that horse has bolted so god help us.

I agree Twitter (like any such forum - online or not) has its distractions but the internet is a hugely important tool.

Celtic and their supporters have used it to their immense advantage over the last few years. We're still struggling behind them but I'd hope we can catch up - cohesion being vital and, IMHO, still possible.

I agree Twitter (like any such forum - online or not) has its distractions but the internet is a hugely important tool.

Celtic and their supporters have used it to their immense advantage over the last few years. We're still struggling behind them but I'd hope we can catch up - cohesion being vital and, IMHO, still possible.

I hope so mate I really do, because if this has shown anything the splits in the support are wider than ever. It will take a big personality to pull them together and I've not seen that person yet.

Twitter is the way to go. Unfortunately, I have a twitter account but can't work it! I have tried to put some quesions to Alex Thomson but it didn't work. Too busy on this and other forums and with life in general to get into it just now. But for others who are less technically challenged than myself, get intae it. I can't even find the smilies on here. Help! Some of my posts are being misconstrued because I cannot show a facial expression. Sad, I know, but truthful.

Twitter is the way to go. Unfortunately, I have a twitter account but can't work it! I have tried to put some quesions to Alex Thomson but it didn't work. Too busy on this and other forums and with life in general to get into it just now. But for others who are less technically challenged than myself, get intae it. I can't even find the smilies on here. Help! Some of my posts are being misconstrued because I cannot show a facial expression. Sad, I know, but truthful.

Hit the go advanced button when replying and you can see the smilies on the right hand side of the text box. Hit More below it and you can choose which one you'd like. :flute:

Guest govansw1

The perceived division/split etc amongst the Rangers support is only a reflection of our society. This is what the Reformation gave us. The ability to think for ourselves.

If you gather a number of fans into a large room they won’t all stand in a circle and engage in conversations but split into groups. This split will be natural based on age e.g. One group will be more vocal than others.

Some may enjoy a bit of banter while another group will be debating on a particular subject.

Individuals will come and join in (login) the conversation or just listen before moving to another group.

If someone is being rude or abusive he will be taken to task with a suggestion to leave the room.

Observing the eyebrows of such person is a clue.

A good thing about physical contact is the presence of facial expressions and mannerisms etc.

Or, we could all be part of one group controlled by one individual who keeps the rule book to himself and tells what it says as it is written in a different language that few understand.

I love it personally. After a while you should be able to work out who is who, who to trust etc. I have 6 accounts on there. I use one to only follow the guys i personally feel have something to say, like Frankie, John DC Gow, Chris Graham, the STV lot and so on.

Twitter is down to how you value it, how you function on it and who you trust. it's very easy to avoid idiots, trolls and general shitpigs