Nobody likes us! We should care!

May be reflecting my age here, but I have never been uncomfortable with the protestant heritage of the club. I was brought up in the church of Scotland and as my uncle explained my team was Rangers, also a Glaswegian so don't think I was a glory hunter. I do however accept there is something beyond just being such a successful club that brings such hatred from other supporters, perhaps these sort of discussions at least let us subject ourselves to some self examination. I do think the whole saga has been made infinitely worse by the complete mismanagement of the situation by the football authorities. Finally do we really know if the supporters of the other clubs reflect all of their support or are they just the minority who shout loudest.

So let's just cut adrift a large part of our support because they might offend someone for no other reason than they stand by their beliefs, Christ who needs enemies.

Do we get shot of any Muslim fan because people of Muslim faith happen to be terrorists? Of course not.

Do we get shot of any affiliation to the Queen and being British because it upsets the uber nationalists & the republican element in our country? Of course not.

We are a broad church we should celebrate that and leave the haters to look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hate us so much not the other way about.

When it comes right down to it we all have one thing in common a love for the greatest football on the planet that's what we should concentrating on not letting haters drive wedges between us.

Do you feel someone has suggested we do that on this thread so far?

So let's just cut adrift a large part of our support because they might offend someone for no other reason than they stand by their beliefs, Christ who needs enemies.

Do we get shot of any Muslim fan because people of Muslim faith happen to be terrorists? Of course not.

Do we get shot of any affiliation to the Queen and being British because it upsets the uber nationalists & the republican element in our country? Of course not.

We are a broad church we should celebrate that and leave the haters to look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hate us so much not the other way about.

When it comes right down to it we all have one thing in common a love for the greatest football on the planet that's what we should concentrating on not letting haters drive wedges between us.

Nobody has said that, not once. You have just posted the same stuff that is used every time somebody tries to re-write history about Rangers.

Rangers are not a religion, Rangers are not a proddy club. Rangers are a football club. Many people that support Rangers including myself are Protestant but that in no way means the club are a Protestant Club.

I think it is hard to separate religion, history and politics and I wouldn't begin to try to explain this in the context of 20th century Scotland. However from my own experience as a child brought up in a very religious household, we learned tolerance and respect. I can remember watching football with my dad and supporting Celtic when they won the European cup and England when they won the world cup. Somewhere between then and now we have lost the plot and our society is much the worse for that. It would take more than a discussion on here to understand the present (interesting discussion though it is). One thing I am sure of is we need to return to supporting our team and that has nothing to do with religion. This is not to ignore our heritage but if you delve into the past you will see that the present bears no comparison to our heritage.

Nobody has said that, not once. You have just posted the same stuff that is used every time somebody tries to re-write history about Rangers.

Rangers are not a religion, Rangers are not a proddy club. Rangers are a football club. Many people that support Rangers including myself are Protestant but that in no way means the club are a Protestant Club.

So you want people to forget all about who they are what makes them tick when they walk through the turnstile, good luck with that one. I don't give a monkeys who or what people are when they come to Ibrox, but I would never tell them to stop being who they think they are and what they believe, starting to sound like "Stepford Football Fans". For most I know the club is an extension of themselves asking them to forget all of that is like asking them to cut an arm off.

We all support Rangers how they express that support is up to each individual fan and as long as he's not breaking the law more power to them. Where does it stop once we have all left the protestant coat at the door what next, no support for the Union, down with the monarchy, change the team colours because blue, white & red offends somebody.

We have this debate everytime the "everybody hates us crap" rears it's head, it's time to say this is who we are if don't like it then it's your problem not ours.

Yeah, problem with that attitude GA is it is our problem as has been demonstrated recently. We cannot expect to prosper in any team sport if every other team in the league hates us. If everyone you deal with is an enemy then we'll continue to do nothing but fight, and if everyone is an enemy we'll lose more fights than we win. There is no reason why we should be disliked as much as we are, the reasons for that dislike need to be understood and acted on.

Why would people need to forget who they are when they go to a football match? At the same time there are appropriate and inappropriate places to say and do certain things. The debate might be what is appropriate for a Rangers match in the 21st century. It was once acceptable to attend football matches whilst drunk, and to piss where you stood, it isn't now. Attitudes change on certain subjects, as a club we need to change with them or be left behind.

The other issue with your statement is "it's time to say this is who we are if don't like it then it's your problem not ours" we can't agree ourselves on this, how do you suggest we resolve that?

GovanAllan mate your just ignoring everything people are saying and repeating the normal typical response from somebody that cant justify why they behave in a certain way just because they have for years.

I will repeat again, nobody gives a fuck if your proddy, or any other religion, this has nothing to do with supporting Rangers or any other team.

If you cant seperate your beliefs from your football team then thats your problem mate, dont make it the problem of the other Rangers fans.

Yeah, problem with that attitude GA is it is our problem as has been demonstrated recently. We cannot expect to prosper in any team sport if every other team in the league hates us. If everyone you deal with is an enemy then we'll continue to do nothing but fight, and if everyone is an enemy we'll lose more fights than we win. There is no reason why we should be disliked as much as we are, the reasons for that dislike need to be understood and acted on.

Why would people need to forget who they are when they go to a football match? At the same time there are appropriate and inappropriate places to say and do certain things. The debate might be what is appropriate for a Rangers match in the 21st century. It was once acceptable to attend football matches whilst drunk, and to piss where you stood, it isn't now. Attitudes change on certain subjects, as a club we need to change with them or be left behind.

The other issue with your statement is "it's time to say this is who we are if don't like it then it's your problem not ours" we can't agree ourselves on this, how do you suggest we resolve that?

So we are disliked because we are seen as Protestant, Pro-Union, and defenders of the monarchy and that's our problem.

GovanAllan mate your just ignoring everything people are saying and repeating the normal typical response from somebody that cant justify why they behave in a certain way just because they have for years.

I will repeat again, nobody gives a fuck if your proddy, or any other religion, this has nothing to do with supporting Rangers or any other team.

If you cant seperate your beliefs from your football team then thats your problem mate, dont make it the problem of the other Rangers fans.

And your missing the point that Rangers are extension of people's life you can't ask people to ignore who they are just to support Rangers. I don't care if you think religion shouldn't be at football it is, religion is everywhere whether you like it or not and unless you ban religion you won't separate the two.

Are you seriously saying we are only hated because we are the prodomiant Protestant team in Scotland? Because I know Protestants who hate us with a passion and it's nothing to do with religion.

So I take it we are getting down to songs and banners so what songs should go?