Arsenal 3-0 Liverpool

I think everyone had Liverpool down as a good bet Malky, I was so close to backing them but went for Man Utd at the last minute at 5/1.

But changing your team 99 times in a row is crazy. Steven Gerrard is the best central midfielder in the EPL so he HAS to play there. The only argument Benitez has is Gerrard is also Liverpools best right sided player and youd rather have Sissoko in the team than Pennant hence play Gerrard out wide. But now that Sissoko is injured he has no excuses. Against Arsenal bringing Zenden into the middle was a joke.

However, I think they will break there away duck this weekend at Middlesboro

The problem for Steven Gerrard is his versatility. You can basically play him anywhere and get a performance out of him. Clearly he is both Englands and Liverpools best central midfielder but both Rafa and Steve MacLaren seem to have trouble getting best out him because they feel they have better players in the central midfield position, Xabi Alonso for Liverpool and Frank Lampard for England. They CAN'T not play him so he invariably ends up floating out in right midfield.

Zenden is never a central midfield player. He is in fact a player I have never really rated and am amazed he's had career he's had. Was a so so winger in his day but doesn't have the pace for that anymore and doesn't appear to have the 'heart' to mix it in central midfield, certainly not at a level like the Premiership.

As for Pennant, supposedly the statistics prove he fired in the most crosses in the league last season while playing for Birmingham. Think the reasoning behind his signing is that by already having Peter Crouch, having a player who can knock in a lot of crosses can lead to fair few goals. Trouble is despite being 6ft 7in Crouch ain't that good in the air, definitley no Mark Hateley.

Do agree that I think that they'll break their away duck against 'Boro, if only for the simple fact that 'Boro are really struggling for consistent form under Gareth Southgate.

Malky

both Rafa and Steve MacLaren seem to have trouble getting best out him because they feel they have better players in the central midfield position, Xabi Alonso for Liverpool and Frank Lampard for England.

i dont think its so much that they think xa and fl are better (surely not!), but that they just cant play out wide.

The problem for Steven Gerrard is his versatility. You can basically play him anywhere and get a performance out of him. Clearly he is both Englands and Liverpools best central midfielder

Malky

Yeah but he is also both Liverpool and Englands best Right sided player. But id still play him central.