Annan Athletic Statement

Annans viewpoint (taken from AAFC Website)

13th July 2012

Recent months have been very testing and trying for all associated with the game, all 30 SFL Clubs were represented at Hampden today and collectively the SFL dealt with the issues that through no fault of our own had firmly landed on our doorstep, it was our duty to look at all options, in reaching our decision we acted with fairness and diligence. Annan Athletic FC voted Yes to accept Rangers application into the SFL, we voted No to Resolution 2 (to explain a no vote was saying no to Rangers being placed in Div 1 with the reform package known as Head of terms and yes to Rangers being placed in Div 3), we voted yes to resolution 3 that will enable Dundee or Dunfermline heading to the SPL when invited.

Annan Athletic believed there was indeed only one acceptable option albeit not the one we felt we were being â??guidedâ?? towards, we fully accept that consequently Scottish Football is facing significant challenges, especially those of a financial nature, there will be a shrinking football economy but both options would have had similar results. As a club we are also committed to addressing the need for change, the presentation document, â?? Our Futureâ?¦.Our Clubâ?¦.Our Gameâ?? highlights many aspects of our game that could be changed and we look forward to being part of the consultation process in a true collaborative manner as indicated in the Head of Terms but more importantly one which is free from threat and bullying.

The SPL are now due to meet on Monday where the first steps of shift in governance should take place with removal of the 11-1 vote. Like many other clubs we are suspicious that the SFLâ??s decision to place Rangers in Div 3 may not be final, the SPL could easily counter such fears by inviting Dundee or Dunfermline into the SPL to take the compliment of teams to the minimum number in accord with the legally binding Settlement Agreement. We were delighted to hear the unanimous response from all ten 1st Division clubs who stated that they are only interested in a 42 club resolution (for any CEOâ??s or others who are unsure what that means, bluntly it is stick SPL2 where the sun donâ??t shine and do not even attempt to pull a 16 team stunt move, another scenario that wouldnâ??t astonish us is for Rangers to be invited back into the SPL â?? to think we were threatened with Armageddon! We do however have faith that the SPL chairmen, the guys that matter, will invite Dundee or Dunfermline into the SPL and through all our combined efforts we will see a 42 team resolution to restructuring and the many other changes we all wish to see happening.

It is worth noting that all 42 clubs in the SPL and SFL are members of the SFA along with all our other fellow members from the various associations are the country. Today at Hampden 30 of these members clubs made a decision based on sporting fairness which as our CEO, David Longmuir, reminds us is the fundamental principle of the Scottish Football League. A week or so ago the SPL clubs also based their decision on the same principle.

Assuming the SPL do the right thing on Monday there is only one final element to be determined, the action to be taken by the SFA who still have to conclude the transfer of SFA membership from Oldco to Newco and complete the 2nd Tier Appellate Tribunal, that would appear to be straight forward as from what we heard yesterday Rangers are more than willing to take on board what is being suggested to them. We cannot share what was said yesterday as we respected the confidentiality of the discussion, Charles Green and Ally McCoist could only be as candid as they were under such agreement. The SFL clubs showed considerable strength, conviction and unity to reach their decisions, we now expect the SFA to support the decision of their member clubs, member clubs who through no fault of their own had the problem thrust upon us.

Annan Athleticsâ?? stance is once again clear, we expect the SFA to quickly close matters out and let us get on with the game, our season starts in two weeks time. The SFL voted our newest member into our league today but they still have not got the surety that they will even be playing football next season.

Despite the prediction of slow lingering deaths or Armageddon, Scottish Football has an opportunity to address so much, what is wrong with clubs cutting their cloth accordingly â?? it is fundamental and sets solid foundations which deliver sustainability, the opportunity to develop home grown talent will become a necessity, the Club Academy Scotland programme will be accelerated, the correction will be painful but clubs will eventually be able to demonstrate a much healthier and stable financial position, rules can be introduced to deal with insolvency (it should be an easy one â?? same as Gretna, Livi and Rangers), amalgamation of the leagues, governance of our game, the list is endless. We believe that the game in Scotland can come out of this clean; our game is big enough that these decisions merit consideration, debate and implementation free from an environment that removes a gun from our head. Today was a significant day in Scottish Football, the correct decision was made, and we now need everyone to move on.

Today the stakeholders of the game voices were heard, without fans we have no game, we survived before SKY. Greed, imbalance of governance, etc etc etc has finally caught up with our game. We have a chance to rebuild our game, we need the fans to be good to their word, even if you canâ??t make a game fans can influence the financial situation. We have seen the keyboard warriors come to the fore, from every corner of the world, well guys support your team, support Scottish Football, itâ??s easy, sponsor a player, sponsor a match ball, clubs can be innovative as they like ( Annan Athletic are creating a Scroll of Fame that will be proudly displayed in our club, it will be dated 13th July 2012 and will reflect todayâ??s watershed decision, we donâ??t know how many people might wish their names added to the scroll but it will be our memory of the day we changed the face of Scottish football) â?? we will all need to be innovative as we rebuild our game, fans can play their part, come up with ideas like never before. This whole episode has proven one thing that we at Annan know from a personal viewpoint. We are involved in football because we love our game, we care for our game, we love our clubs, football is in our blood, football is our culture and for many of us it is our life.

We would like to thank everyone for all the texts and e-mails, we have a tough time ahead but together our game will come out of this stronger and in a much better place.

(http://www.annanathleticfc.com)

Possibly. Strange way of saying it though. I wondered whether it was referring to sanctions. I guess we look for hidden meaning all over the place at the moment.

it may well be that we understand what we have done wrong and understand why we must be punished.

Rangers are more than willing to take on board what is being suggested to them

I read that as the penalties from the SFA. My feeling is that the financial penalties will stand and we will agree to pay out of newco over a period of time, say one or two seasons in consideration of which no further penalty e.g. transfer ban, will be imposed and the matter will be referred to the Tribunal with that recommendation and they will rubber stamp it.

'we survived before SKY'

Will someone please tell all the numpties running Scottish clubs that the days when clubs could survive on their gate receipts alone ended decades ago.

Clubs depend on sponsorships,advertising,TV deals etc to make up the difference between what they require & what they get at the gate.

That is why panic is now setting in amongst a number of clubs.

Following yesterday's vote it's now either survival or 'sporting integrity' .

The SPL clubs have a choice on Monday. If I were one of them I know what my choice would be

I read that as the penalties from the SFA. My feeling is that the financial penalties will stand and we will agree to pay out of newco over a period of time, say one or two seasons in consideration of which no further penalty e.g. transfer ban, will be imposed and the matter will be referred to the Tribunal with that recommendation and they will rubber stamp it.

Although I feel it's wrong for these penalties to stand, I could live with that.

I would say that was optimistic but you could be right.

'we survived before SKY'

Will someone please tell all the numpties running Scottish clubs that the days when clubs could survive on their gate receipts alone ended decades ago.

Clubs depend on sponsorships,advertising,TV deals etc to make up the difference between what they require & what they get at the gate.

That is why panic is now setting in amongst a number of clubs.

Following yesterday's vote it's now either survival or 'sporting integrity' .

The SPL clubs have a choice on Monday. If I were one of them I know what my choice would be

In Annan's case (although only 4 years as a league club) they have never had to rely on Sky. The club is run with a tight budget mainly funded through local business and the thriving social club. The new pitch is being payed for by government grants and the proceeds from crime initiative.

Edited by Annan Bear