the worst possible outcome

this is what i think is in the offing , if the spl and the celtic chief excecutive get their seven year television deal we wont get the sfa licence , i think they will suspend us for one year to appease the others and stamp their control on the scottish game .

Guest SFLformethen

I agree that the key thing that the SPL are interested in is retaining the TV deal. I think we are using this as a bargaining chip to say if you take away past titles / cups then we won't sanction the TV deal. The SPL have already made up their mind to take titles away and this would be the only thing to stop them, due to the implications for their own finances. I don't think they are trying to suspend us, although I think that if the TV deal is not signed that this could well be the outcome.

If the reports are true that the SPL are loooking to buy rights to Rangers games from the SFL for £1.2M over 3 years for Rangers games. This looks like they are looking to get games on the cheap to maintain their own deal. I think many Rangers fans will baulk at renewing their SKY / ESPN subscriptions when they are being used to prop up the SPL deal. We will probably get little from the deal ourselves, particularly as the SFL will want their part of the windfall. It would be better for fans to go along to even a couple of games instead of renewing.

Do we have any say in the sale of the TV deal, though, SPLformethen? I thought the SFL, collectively, decided what to do with their rights - and since we have learned the hard way what SPL tactics can lead to I've no issue with that - but it leaves us a bit bare in the bargaining chip dept.

Mind you, we can always refuse to sign off on the 5 way deal, I suppose.

Welcome to the site, btw!

I've been thinking all week that there will be/ has been a couple of scenarios....

1. If the SPL get the TV deal it will be on the back of SKY being able to broadcast Rangers matches, that being the case then the SPL/SFA will have no option but to give up on their quest for further sanctions in the future and grant us our licence.

2. Should the SKY deal, for whatever reason, fall flat then the SFA will not grant us our licence unless we agree to further sanctions.

It's as plain and simple as that IMO.

Guest Dutchy
this is what i think is in the offing , if the spl and the celtic chief excecutive get their seven year television deal we wont get the sfa licence , i think they will suspend us for one year to appease the others and stamp their control on the scottish game .

I might have read things wrongly, but does not the TV deal depend on Rangers games???

I'm sure if that was mentioned in the previous 5 year, £80 million deal, it's sure to be in any new one.

Basically, no Rangers, no deal.