Our TV dealâ??s in the bag

THE collapse of Rangers has cost the SPL a massive £17million from one TV

deal alone.

After weeks of negotiations the game’s top flight finally clinched a new five-year

Sky agreement yesterday but it’s well short of the millions on offer when Rangers were in the SPL.

Last year Sky and the country’s leading clubs had settled on £80m over five years but the contracts were never signed. And it’s believed the deal will give the SPL only £63m over a similar period.

But from that figure £9m will have to be paid to the SFL over the next three years and then £4m over the remaining two years of the deal.

That, of course, means several SPL clubs are still facing financial hardship.

With Rangers in the Third Division the SFL were able to sell their TV rights to the SPL for just more than £1m a year for the next three years and that fee will have to come out of the new Sky deal.

The SPL must also pay a £2m settlement fee – agreed when the top clubs broke away in 1998 – every year and that, too, will be taken out of the new telly package.

So, with SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and Celtic chief Peter Lawwell, who led the negotiating team, having agreed a new package worth just less than £13m a year the amount to be spread among the 12 top clubs is actually only around £10m a year for the next three years.

For the remaining two years of the deal the figure will be closer to £11m, although there will be clauses in the new agreement which will allow for an increase should Rangers win promotion every season for the next three.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...v-deal-1198156

I'd be interested to see how much of a difference this will mean to the prize monies on offer for final positions in the SPL. This reduction, coupled with falling ST sales is a recipe for disaster.

That's still a damn sight better than I thought they were going to get.

The SPL were due to pay the £2m / yr compensation to the SFL with or without our presence, so it's only the £1m for 3 years for TV to SFL which is an additional conseqence to the decreased Sky payment.

They would have got £80m - £10m (£2m/yr to the SFL for 5 yrs) = £70m

They now get £63m - £10m (£2m/yr to the SFL for 5 yrs) - £3m (£1m/yr to the SFL for TV right for 3 yrs) = £50m

That's a fall of only 29%. I'd expected a fall of well over 50%

Guest Dutchy
That's still a damn sight better than I thought they were going to get.

The SPL were due to pay the £2m / yr compensation to the SFL with or without our presence, so it's only the £1m for 3 years for TV to SFL which is an additional conseqence to the decreased Sky payment.

They would have got £80m - £10m (£2m/yr to the SFL for 5 yrs) = £70m

They now get £63m - £10m (£2m/yr to the SFL for 5 yrs) - £3m (£1m/yr to the SFL for TV right for 3 yrs) = £50m

That's a fall of only 29%. I'd expected a fall of well over 50%

BBC Scotland's Jim Spence is reporting that the deal is not the downfall of scottish football after all.

I wonder what it'll be like next season when everyone realises that no one has a chance against septic. A season ticket plunge I'd forecast.

BBC Scotland's Jim Spence is reporting that the deal is not the downfall of scottish football after all.

I wonder what it'll be like next season when everyone realises that no one has a chance against septic. A season ticket plunge I'd forecast.

I thought I heard Spence say that it was only 10% down which made me double take. Looks more like 30% to me. Did anybody else hear him?

Guest Dutchy
I thought I heard Spence say that it was only 10% down which made me double take. Looks more like 30% to me. Did anybody else hear him?

He did say that, and more than once, very excitedly on the second occasion. Unfortunately the quality of journos at that station is going down hill, big time, as none of them seem able to correct each others mistakes, which there are plenty off. In every aspect of reporting, news as well as sport.