Rangers 4 - 0 East Fife (FT)

There was definitely more than 38 thousand of us there tonight. There were so many paying at the gate that they opened the club deck & delayed kick-off by 10-15 minutes. I'm assuming the 38k figure is pre-booked tickets without the pay at the gate tickets.

Oh no!,not another tax dodge?................................................:sneaky::smokin::whistling::devil:

Rangers FC Official‏@RFC_Official

McCoist: "Really pleased from start to finish. From the team, to individual performances to the crowd, it was brilliant tonight."

McCoist: "It meant a lot to us & I've no doubt that it meant a lot to the fans. I want to give them something they will be pleased to see."

Tbf, there were gaps in the corner between Copland and Govan, in the Main Stand, and in the Govan Rear. Add to that the Club Deck - impressive, but not full - and it seems like a fair count to me. Where's the beef, anyway? Fabulous turnout.

And good football too. Really like the look of Barrie McKay. Only minor points to quibble about are Goian becoming a bombscare (but should get away with it at this level) and big Kyle - I can't judge on 15 minutes but he really doesn't look the part. At all.

ALLY McCOIST admits he could not find anything to complain about after watching his Rangers side dismantle East Fife 4-0 in the first round of the League Cup.

Goals either side of half-time from Lee McCulloch, along with strikes from Dean Shiels and Lee Wallace, ensured straightforward progression to the next stage of the competition.

Those counters aside, the Light Blues looked far sharper than they had when they beat Brechin City 2-1 in extra-time in the Ramsdens Cup nine days ago.

And on a night when almost 40,000 fans poured into Ibrox to see the 54-times Scottish champions in action, manager McCoist was a happy man at the conclusion.

He said: “I was really, really pleased with everything from start to finish. I couldn’t have a complaint to be honest.

“From the performance as a team and some of the individual performances within the team to the crowd, it was just a great night really.

“I thought we played all right at Brechin and you’re going to get tough games. The fact of the matter is we’ll probably play in 40-odd cup finals this season. That’s how it will be.

“But I felt we were a little bit sharper in everything we did tonight and the bigger open space helped us considerably.”

McCoist had spoken before the game at his pre-match press conference of expecting to attract around 22,000 fans to the game.

The official attendance of 38,160 was almost double that and the phenomenal turnout almost left him lost for words.

He added: “That’s amazing, the support we’ve had has been absolutely amazing. We talked about it before the game and I was nowhere in the sweep.

“I was hopeful of reaching something around 30,000 but I genuinely couldn’t believe what we got to.

“Opposition fans must be sick of me saying this but out of all this madness, one of the real plusses in the last few months has been the support we’ve had from our fans.

“The players and the staff are extremely grateful for it and tonight was just another exhibition of what they have been doing.”

http://rangers.co.uk/index.php/news/headlines/item/1675-nothing-to-complain-about

ALLY McCOIST admits he was as nervous before tonight’s League Cup tie with East Fife as he was before some of the biggest matches in his career.

The Rangers boss led his side to a comprehensive 4-0 victory over the Methil side in the first round thanks to Lee McCulloch’s double and goals from Dean Shiels and Lee Wallace.

It was a fantastic way to start a new era at Ibrox following the club’s transfer from its old parent company to a new one in June and the move from the SPL to the Third Division.

McCoist was clearly eager to kick off with a victory and was delighted to see his team deliver with comfort.

Now, with Saturday’s league opener at Peterhead approaching, he is intent on continuing to build his squad after making three signings today.

McCoist said: “It was strange before the game. I was really nervous myself beforehand because I wanted to win and give the fans something they would be pleased to see.

“I have to say I think that’s quite a good thing. I don’t think I’ve ever been involved in a game when I’ve not had nerves and today it was a big, big game for the club.

“The eyes of the country have been on us and they will continue to be on us this season. We don’t want to let anyone down.

“I have to be honest – I think they (the fans) will have gone home tonight and seen enough from the team that would have pleased them.

“We are certainly in a transitional period as a club. As a team, you don’t lose 23 or 24 players in the space of six months and expect anything other than that.

“We’ve brought five in and while I keep hearing people saying we’re not going to lose a game, the fact is we’ve got to earn the right to win matches.

“Our game at Brechin showed we’re going to get a lot of tough games and I still think we need to bring players in.

“The maths would tell you that, especially with an embargo coming in September and we’ll certainly be looking to strengthen the squad.

“Tonight has been a good night. There were some good performances in what was only our second game. We’ve still got fitness issues but I think we’ll get better in the coming weeks.”

http://rangers.co.uk/index.php/news/headlines/item/1677-i-was-nervous-as-ever

No beef Andy, I just reckon they are being conservative. Govan rear felt packed, great view there but quite cramped. 38k for a cup game, very impressive.

Dean Shiels was impressive. Little had the energy of Novo. Broadfoot is rusty, his timing for tackles needs looked at.

Also, the new banners were nice.

Might aswell turn those tvs off, kept seeing them flicker out of the corner of my eye.