Robin van Persie: Man Utd agree £24m deal with Arsenal for striker

Manchester United have agreed a £24m deal to sign Arsenal striker Robin van Persie on a four-year contract.

The 29-year-old will meet with United in the next 48 hours to discuss personal terms and have a medical.

Arsenal captain Van Persie announced in July he would not extend his current deal, which expires in June 2013.

"Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement for the transfer of Robin Van Persie," said a statement issued by the club.

It added: "The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms. A further announcement will be made in due course."

The Netherlands international scored 44 goals in 57 games for club and country last season, including two against United.

Arsenal career in numbers

Transfer fee: £2.75m

Appearances: 278

Goals scored: 132

Goals scored last season: 37

Trophies won: Two (2004 Community Shield & 2004-05 FA Cup)

Consecutive seasons without a trophy: Seven

Sir Alex Ferguson first confirmed United's bid for Van Persie on 20 July but Arsenal dismissed the offer which fell short of their valuation.

Last week the Manchester United boss admitted that attempts to sign the forward from Arsenal had stalled.

"We've made a bid, they [Arsenal] have been trying to negotiate with other clubs," said Ferguson.

"I don't have a gut feeling about it. We can't get a breakthrough with Arsenal."

Juventus and Manchester City were also interested in Van Persie, but City boss Roberto Mancini admitted last week they were out of the running for the striker.

The Dutchman was named Professional Footballers' Association and Football Writers' player of the year last season.

However, he suffered a disappointing Euro 2012 campaign - scoring only once as the Netherlands were eliminated at the group stage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19179833

Arsenal fans must be sick.

A lot of Gooners are saying he only gave them 1 season out of 7 which isnt quite correct, he gave a few half seasons. But he is injury prone and 24m is a big risk.

Im glad he's gone to Man U rather than Man City though, was getting fed up seeing Man City buy everyone.

As with Vieira and Henry Arsenal saw the best of him and I dont think he'll get any better with age. He was awful at the Euro's. He had Alex Song to be thankful for half his goals last season.

But if he is fit this season then its a terrific signing for Man Utd considering Rooney is getting fat.

£24m for last season's top scorer in the EPL isn't actually a very high price for Man Utd to pay. In fact, it's a bit of a bargain compared to what Liverpool paid for Andy Carroll and other EPL clubs have paid for players.

It'll be interesting to see if the deal goes through because somehow I don't think a move to Man Utd is exactly what the player is looking for.

£24m for last season's top scorer in the EPL isn't actually a very high price for Man Utd to pay. In fact, it's a bit of a bargain compared to what Liverpool paid for Andy Carroll and other EPL clubs have paid for players.

It'll be interesting to see if the deal goes through because somehow I don't think a move to Man Utd is exactly what the player is looking for.

I gather he's looking to win trophies, and that's what Man Utd do, even if they didn't quite manage it last season.

He only had 12 months left on his contract.

This is obviously a quality signing but Man Utd still have a terrible midfield.

He'll be a loss to Arsenal. But not necessarily a gain for Man Utd. I don't think Man Utd needed that type of player they already have Rooney and Hernandez. They needed a player like Adebayor or another powerful centre forward.

Adebayor would score a barrell load at Man Utd and as has already been mentioned RVP is frequently injured.

He'll be a loss to Arsenal. But not necessarily a gain for Man Utd. I don't think Man Utd needed that type of player they already have Rooney and Hernandez. They needed a player like Adebayor or another powerful centre forward.

Adebayor would score a barrell load at Man Utd and as has already been mentioned RVP is frequently injured.

RVP is on another level from the others mentioned and he has plenty power to operate as a single striker, as demonstrated with Arsenal. I'm not sure why you are so bothered about power, the likes of Totti and Messi have operated in the middle of a front 3 in recent years and ripped apart their respective leagues.

FYI, Adebayor's overall goal record is 152 in 414 games, he is the epitome of mediocrity. He was unbelievable in 07/08 and was ok last season but blew hot and cold.

a good deal for arsenal persie and rooney wont hit it off together .

Rooney tends to drop very deep now so it might work with him playing in the hole behind Van Persie. Fergie tends to favour 4-4-2 now though Man Utd were at their best in recent years when they played 4-3-3. A front three of Rooney, Van Persie and Kagawa could be pretty devastating, but RVP is very much a striker now and might not be so strong out wide.

Man Utd have no central midfield though. They don't have a hope of winning the EPL or CL this year. I'm not sure how many times Man Utd have to get destroyed in Europe before Fergie decides he needs to splash out a fortune on a new midfield.

Chelsea are also light this season in the middle. Man City are very fortunate to have Toure.