f4b7ce5da64afeb5893382c9ea2a025d_S.jpg

ALLY McCOIST singled Barrie McKay out for praise after a fine display from the youngster in todayâ??s 5-1 win over East Stirlingshire.

The Rangers boss was pleased by the youngsterâ??s contribution after he replaced the injured Dean Shiels mid-way through the first half.

And he pointed to rapid improvements in the 17-year-oldâ??s game already despite it being only his fifth top team appearance.

McCoist said: â??He was magic today. Heâ??s an intelligent player and there are wee things that Iâ??m more pleased about that maybe arenâ??t as noticeable.

â??His ball retention and decision making and the fact he didnâ??t switch off at times. I can see improvements in that in the early stages of his career which is great.

â??In terms of his decision making he took two players on in the left back position and went past them and then two minutes later put a cross in.

â??He got both those decisions right and itâ??s those things that we were looking for improvements in.

â??I thought he was excellent today and so was young Lewis Macleod.â?

d17ef18e347871e9944e7d310ab99d0c_S.jpg

BARRIE McKAY hopes his virtuoso performance as a substitute against East Stirlingshire has won him his place back in the Rangers team.

The 17-year-old was hugely unfortunate to be omitted from the side which started against John Coughlinâ??s men after his first competitive goal for the club last week at Peterhead.

But he soon got a chance to shine when he replaced Dean Shiels midway through the first half as he limped off with a dead leg which makes him unlikely to face Falkirk on Tuesday.

McKayâ??s movement, vision, awareness and passing were all terrific as he turned in a showing which belied his young age.

Expressing himself with the freedom you would expect from a seasoned professional with years of experience under his belt, he was outstanding at times.

He played a key role in the goal which sealed Andy Littleâ??s hat-trick then set up Lee McCullochâ??s clincher in a 5-1 win with a delightful pass to the forward.

McKay certainly doesnâ??t seem fazed by turning out in front of crowds such as the wonderful gathering of 49,118 which was at Ibrox this afternoon.

Instead, he has made it his objective to get back into the first XI for the midweek Ramsdens Cup tie at Westfield.

The teenager said: â??It was quite frustrating not to start but you donâ??t expect to play every game at my age.

â??Iâ??m still young and Iâ??m still working my way into the team. Iâ??m not an established player yet so I donâ??t think Iâ??ll play all the time but it was good to come on.

â??When you come to a club like this you expect there to be pressure on you, even at youth level, and you need to be able to deal with that.

â??I enjoyed the game because the more I got on the ball, the more confident I got and itâ??s just as important for me to set up goals as it is to score them. I love that.

â??Hopefully now I can come back into the team. Iâ??m young and I just want to play as many games as possible if the manager gives me a chance.

â??The more I play, the better it will be for me and the more experience Iâ??ll get. Itâ??s always a bonus to be as involved as possible.

â??Now weâ??ve got a big game on Tuesday. You want to win every time you play and I never like to get beaten so weâ??ll see what happens in midweek.â?

YOURVIEW.jpg

Poll:
#
RFCvESFC
- Who was the man of the match for you today? Reply w/
#
Barrie
#
Andy
#
Fran
or
#
Lewis
twt.pl/1Bf

â?? Rangers FC Official (@RFC_Official)
August 18, 2012

CLUBNEWS.jpg

This lad McKay is making a big name for himself for such a young player and it's not hype either, he's doing it by playing good football. Really delighted for the lad and I hope he keeps it up and keeps improving if Ally keeps giving him a chance!

which beggs the question why was he dropped.

The lad's only 17 FFS! :D

Dropping him from the starting line-up today to give one or two of our new players a chance was a pretty obvious thing to do and McKay got his chance anyway.

The lad's only 17 FFS! :D

Dropping him from the starting line-up today to give one or two of our new players a chance was a pretty obvious thing to do and McKay got his chance anyway.

I'd have tended to drop the players that are playing poorly but each to his own.