Scottish Cup 2nd Round: Forres v Rangers

WITH the demand for Forres Mechanics versus Rangers tickets building up to boiling point, the "Gazette" exclusively reveals purchasing details in todays issue.

Gazette backing the Cans all through the seasonMechanics chairman, Dr James Anderson, is to further raise the profile of the club tomorrow, first by filming part of an episode of Sky 1â??s Saturday morning television show â??Soccer AMâ??, then, by attempting to increase Mosset Parkâ??s capacity during a crunch-meeting with Moray Council.

"I got a call asking if weâ??d like the forthcoming tie to feature in Soccer AM and if Sky could film myself and some of the players," said Dr Anderson.

"Of course I said "yes" so the Forres boys in the team - Ross (Chucky) Macpherson, Matty Davidson, Simon Allan, Mathew Fraser, Steven Fraser - and myself are meeting with them tomorrow. Iâ??m not of the age group that watches the programme so Iâ??ll just have to see what transpires. Iâ??ve to wear a kilt anyway and Chucky and Matty are all grins."

After the fun and games to be televised in the near future, Dr Anderson will get down to the serious business of increasing the availability of tickets for the forthcoming Scottish Cup tie with Rangers to supply the massive demand.

"After the filming with Soccer AM I have a meeting with Moray Council and Iâ??m looking to get the capacity increased by 1000," he said.

"Even 2500 would be a modest request. We will have a look at the ground together rather than via email and discussion over the phone."

Forres Mechanics have had ongoing discussions with Moray Council and Grampian Police about the impact of such a high profile match in the town and, in particular, the expected influx of Rangers fans on the day.

"The police will also be present on Wednesday," confirmed Dr Anderson. "I have had several discussions with them so far - they have been very accommodating and are happy with the general plan we are putting in place. I believe that safety would be enhanced if the supporters are inside the ground rather than large numbers of disappointed and frustrated individuals looking over the wall at empty spaces inside."

He confirmed that the police are aware of the potential difficulties that may arise as a result of the expected away support on arrival, in particular the dangers of the bypass.

"There may be further speed restrictions placed on the day. The last thing anyone wants is rows of people at the roadside. Any further alterations are dependent on ongoing discussions."

Dr Anderson said that there are no significant alterations planned for Mosset Park itself but that the supporters will be cordoned off. Rangers fans will be designated the east end of the ground, entering from Bogton Road.

He was adamant that the match would be played in Forres after calls from some supporters to move the game to a larger venue to maximise the potential revenue for the club.

"Itâ??s going to be very much a Forres day. To play the game elsewhere would mean losing the romantic impact and its an opportunity for the club to create a piece of history. It also improves our chances by playing on home ground. An ideal result would be a draw on the 29th, a win at Ibrox then bring on the Celtic ... but we are playing for a win."

Having recently returned from a Mediterranean cruise, Dr Anderson has been thrilled by the attention the tie has been bringing to Forres throughout the UK.

"The most impressive aspect is the interest that the local community is expressing, supporters or not but I have had a registered delivery from Glasgow with a fiver and three lottery tickets enclosed requesting a programme, club badge and match ticket. While I was away a lady on the cruise overheard me say I was from Forres and asked if I knew anything about Mechanics. She said her father was chairman of Liverpool FC during the Shankly era. She was from the Isle of Man but knew of Forres because of the match and the townâ??s performances in Britain in Bloom."

Operation Cup Shock under way for Forres as they prepare to welcome Rangers

THE Highland League side are set to entertain the Glasgow giants in the Scottish Cup and one Forres player says they can expect a battle at Mosset Park.

The+sign+at+Mosset+ParkThe sign at Mosset Park

â??RUBBISH HEREâ?. A coded warning or nothing more cryptic than a sign on a bin in the corner of the Forres Mechanics away dressing room?

Rangers are about to discover that reputations have already been disregarded by a Highland League side ready to take a shot at glory.

Gearing up for their David v Goliath Scottish Cup encounter against the Light Blues on Saturday with a 6-1 win over Strathspey may not send a shiver down the spine of the Ibrox squad.

But Operation Cup Shock is well under way.

Just seconds after the full-time whistle they were rearranging the letters on the fixture board outside the humble Mosset Park stand in what could have been a make believe game of Scrabble.

Next home game: v Rangers.

A surreal sight, compounded by discovering itâ??s a dyed-in-the-wool Gers supporting plumber who is engineering a way for the Mechanics to inflict the ultimate insult on a club he kept referring to as â??usâ? and â??weâ?.

Scott+MooreScott Moore

Step forward tricky winger Scott Moore who insists he wouldnâ??t swap a lottery win for the dream date with his heroes which almost reduced his dad Ian to tears.

He said: â??Iâ??m one of a few big Rangers fans in our dressing room but I donâ??t get down to Ibrox as much as I used to.

â??My old man comes from Govan and is a massive fan, as are my cousins and uncle who follow the team everywhere, but now that I play on a Saturday it makes it impossible for me.

â??A few years ago we were up against Forfar in the Scottish Cup and the winners were due to play Rangers in the next round. Everyone was buzzing about it but we ended up getting hammered 6-0.

â??That was when I thought my chance of ever facing them was over. But when they were starting life in the Third Division we knew they would be in the same draw as us and we thought there was a chance.

â??It was a long shot and I was sitting in my dad Ianâ??s office one afternoon when the draw was being made. I kept checking my phone and when I told him it was Rangers he didnâ??t believe me. Itâ??s like winning the lottery, possibly better.

â??It was an emotional moment for the both of us as the club means a great deal to us.

â??You just donâ??t think it will happen to you but now we can look forward to it.â??

The tiny ground which sits in a cul-de-sac at the foot of Forres town centre is in a Scottish Cup frenzy.

After a decision was reached not to take the tie to a bigger venue, Moore insists his side believe they can inflict a result on Rangers which would render the Ibrox clubâ??s recent away-day miseries insignificant.

He said: â??Rangers are finding it hard away from home so itâ??s good we are facing them at our place as it gives us more of a chance.

â??They are struggling on the road and itâ??s going to be hard for them â?? they can expect a battle. We can do something, thereâ??s definitely a chance.

The+away+dressing+roomThe away dressing room

â??Usually when you draw Rangers in a cup you would be expecting a hammering but these are not normal times for them. If they have an off-day we can do something.â?

Moore then let his guard down by wearing his heart on his sleeve when he spoke about having to watch Gersâ?? traumas this summer.

He said: â??There was so much uncertainty so it was good to finally reach a decision that we would be playing in the Third Division.

â??It needed to be settled and I felt that starting again in the Third Division was the best thing that could have happened.

â??Itâ??s better to start again and give young players such as Barrie McKay a chance.

â??Itâ??s about giving ourselves a few years to heal and I donâ??t know if we will come straight back up year on year, especially the way things have started.

â??But by the time we get back into the SPL the club will be a lot better for it. The whole thing has been

traumatic and even though there has been a lot of banter with Celtic fans, it does hurt.

â??You never imagine this could happen to a club the size of Rangers.

â??But itâ??s a bizarre consequence of it all that Iâ??m getting the chance to play against my club.â?

Forres showed on Saturday they will be a force to be reckoned with against Rangers.

They have a bowling green playing surface, lovingly cared for by club legend Fred who has been supporting the team for longer than he cares to recall.

And a word to the wise for Fran Sandaza who compared a recent game against Annan to war.

The sight of man mountain Nathan Sharp in central defence should ensure another combat zone where Gers are in the line of fire.

Kyle Scottâ??s ability to run the game for his side and the striking instincts of Scott Lawrie are just a few of the features of a side which caught the eye.

Strathspey were hit by a Lawrie hat-trick, Scott double and a strike from Moore who is convinced Forres can manufacture a shock.

Whether the Can-Cans can or canâ??t, we will find out on Saturday. Against Strathspey the warning signs were everywhere

Baker hides Scottish Cup tie tickets for Rangers game in prized pies

162851-forres-pie-shop.jpgPrized pies: A Forres baker is offering patrons the chance to win 'Golden Tickets'.Macleans Bakery

Moray-based baker hopes to boost his sale after being inspired by Willy Wonka's 'Golden Tickets'.

A baker has devised a novel scheme to boost his sales and offer some sought after tickets for the Scottish Cup tie against Rangers this weekend.

Lewis Maclean is inserting a "Golden Ticket" in two of his Scotch pies on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, which will allow six of his customers to watch Forres Mechanics take part in the biggest match in their history when they welcome Ally McCoist's side to Mosset Park on Saturday.

The Forres-based baker dreamed up the idea after reading Roald Dahl's book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it has already proved a hit with residents.

Not that Maclean's products need any hard sell, given that he is a former world champion in the competitive field of pie manufacturing and will be hoping that the Highland League side can show equal quality when they attempt to create history in the Cup.

The Highland Bakery owner said: "It's a champion pie and we are giving customers the chance to win tickets for what should be a champion match.

"We usually sell around a couple of hundred Scotch pies every day, so the odds are better than the lottery. And with the match being a sell-out, this is a good way to win a ticket.

"There is a lot of interest in this game, for obvious reasons, and the community is buzzing about the Scottish Cup. That is why we came up with the "Willy Wonka" pie. It has got people talking and it has definitely helped to generate a positive atmosphere about the place."

Forres are known as the "Can-Cans" and were formed in 1884.

http://local.stv.tv/forres/news/191999-forres-baker-serves-up-willy-wonka-golden-tickets-for-rangers-cup-clash/