Ally Wants To Deal In Stars

e01c97fcecb2b060743fed30b9bfd925_S.jpg

ALLY McCOIST is hopeful that he can tie down senior stars Lee McCulloch and Neil Alexander on longer term deals in the coming months.

McCoist has just made McCulloch club captain while Alexander is obviously the No1 keeper since the departure of Allan McGregor over the summer.

Both players are out of contract at the end of this season and with a signing embargo now in place on Rangers for the next two transfer windows McCoist would be keen to secure both players beyond next summer.

McCulloch has made a terrific start to the campaign with eight goals and is relishing his new role as skipper while Alexander remains a first class goalkeeper with vast experience.

McCoist told RangersTV: â??There has nothing been planned yet but it goes without saying that they are players who are very valuable to the team and the club.

â??I would imagine in the next couple of months or so that their representatives will be sitting down with the club to discuss extensions to their contracts.

â??Hopefully from their point of view and from our point of view we can do some good business.â?

McCulloch has been with Rangers for over five years while Alexander joined in January 2008 and they have been at the heart of the club's major successes.

YOU CAN WATCH THE FULL McCOIST INTERVIEW NOW ON RANGERSTV

I'm not quite sure what to think about the talk of extending Jig's deal. With him set to turn 35 at the end of this season he's getting on a bit for a striker and I wouldn't be happy if Ally kept him to play in midfield or defence.

There's also the issue of whether or not he's still on high wages and whether those high wages would continue because it was rumoured that he was earning around £20k a week and that's enough money to pay three (maybe more) players of a good standard.

McCulloch has been scoring while upfront so should start a rolling 12 month contract. Id say we def need a big character like McCulloch in the dressing room while we embark on this journey.

Alexander is a no brainer, has to be signed up.

McCulloch has been scoring while upfront so should start a rolling 12 month contract. Id say we def need a big character like McCulloch in the dressing room while we embark on this journey.

Alexander is a no brainer, has to be signed up.

Agree on all points. I will also say Jig is one of the few players in recent years who deserves a testimonial.

3f518086254ba3a2f0f3c3f27fc8971b_S.jpg

LEE McCULLOCH admits he would love to be the latest player to extend his future with the Light Blues.

The skipper is in the final year of his current Gers contract, but Ally McCoist has already indicated his desire to keep his captain beyond next summer.

That news was welcomed by McCulloch on the back of Lee Wallace, Lewis Macleod, Robbie Crawford and Barrie McKay all committing their long term futures to the club.

However Jig knows heâ??s unlikely, at 34, to be handed a similar five year deal!

He said: â??That would be great news for me. I'd love to stay for another year anyway.

â??I know Iâ??m getting on a bit so I'm not expecting a five year deal!

â??It would be great but as far as Iâ??m aware talks haven't started yet, but I would be keen to talk.

â??It's good to hear that the manager thinks I could be here for another season.â?

However despite his senior role in the squad, McCulloch insists he doesnâ??t feel any extra responsibility to improve the clubâ??s current position.

He added: â??I think everyone in the dressing room has a responsibility, along with the coaching staff and the manager, to get the club back.

â??I'm just here to play my part. I don't see myself having a different role from anyone else.

â??I'm maybe a little bit more experienced than some of the boys and they know that if any of them need help with anything I'm happy to give them that.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg