back in season 1927/28 rangers recorded a fine four goals to nil win over celtic in the final of the scottish cup played in fron of a the record crowd of 118,115 with the goals comming from archibald who got two ,meiklejohn and mcphail this was also rangers first win in the cup final for twenty three years .

medals.jpg

Our Founder Peter Campbell was part on the victorious Rangers side in 1879 which won the Clubâ??s first ever Trophy (The Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup) in a thrilling encounter with our old foes Vale of Leven.

Here now is an account of a quite incredible story that brings our Founders directly into our lives today.

At recent Rangers Supporters Trust meeting the subject of a Rangers F.C. museum was discussed; that sparked my interest in a medal I have been aware of for many years. It is an 1879 Glasgow Charity Cup medal, Rangerâ??s first ever trophy, won by Peter M. Campbell. It belongs to a friend of mine named Stephen. When Stephen was a schoolboy in the late sixties he found the medal in an East Kilbride park while walking to school one morning. Stephen handed the medal into the local police and after a certain length of time (he thinks it was a year) as no claim or report had been made about it, the medal was returned to him.

Stephen made contact with Rangers at the time in order, if possible, to return the medal to Peter Campbellâ??s family; Davie White was the Rangers manager at the time. Rangers could only find out some of the basic information and were unable to trace any surviving family.

I started working with Stephen about ten years ago and as we both are Rangers supporters the subject of the medal naturally came up. Stephen knew very little of the medalâ??s history but after some research this medal has turned out to have major significance in Rangers F.C. history as well as the tragedy of Peter Campbellâ??s drowning.

To my limited knowledge, and I am willing to stand corrected, this medal is unique. In conversations with Stephen his preferred choice was to retain ownership of the medal but loan it to Rangers F.C. to display it in the Trophy Room and in any future Rangerâ??s museum, instead as he has said â??gathering dust in a drawerâ??. It is now on display in the Ibrox Blue Room.

William Mason