BBC reject claims of anti-Rangers bias

RANGERS yesterday banned the BBC as the broadcaster refused to say sorry over a clip of boss Ally McCoist in a mock suicide.

The broadcaster’s staff were told to stay away from a club media conference.

And Gers stars will snub Beeb reporters at today’s Scottish Cup tie at Forres Mechanics.

Raging chief executive Charles Green demanded an apology over the animation sequence which showed a figure like McCoist plunging from an Ibrox window.

He said: “It is deeply regrettable the BBC has failed to understand the strength of feeling within the club and among supporters on the issue.

“The response from BBC Scotland failed to address appropriately the grave offence taken.” McCoist blasted the “tasteless” plug for coverage of Wednesday’s League Cup tie with Motherwell — and linked it to a probe into the suicides of teenagers Sammy Joe McGeachy and Catherine Bradley in Bonhill, Dunbartonshire.

He said: “In the current climate it would have to be, at the very best, tasteless and inappropriate. Look at the newspapers and the stories about the two young girls.”

Yesterday sports presenter Jane Lewis said on Twitter: “No radio or TV interviews on the BBC from Rangers.”

We revealed yesterday how Gers were fuming over a Radio Scotland jibe at McCoist on its flagship comedy footie show Off the Ball.

BBC bosses revealed they have received 274 complaints at their Glasgow HQ. Ofcom was “assessing” complaints made to the TV watchdog.

Last night the BBC was unavailable for comment.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...lip-storm.html

Imagine a self proclaimed "'Flagship' against bigotry" in this country behaving like that????? They should be outed.

You've got to remember 54 that bigotry in their eyes is a one way street full of Protestants, you can't be Catholic and a bigot because it doesn't exist in their eyes.

Shower of deluded twats.

According to BBC final score fixture list, the Scottish Cup doesn't exist... SFL2 does and Blue Square leagues. I wonder why?

did they not mention our score? i was listening on the radio after the match for around a half hour and heard no mention of us at all.

Some fair points there AMMS.

However I would imagine that there are far more people who work there that you do not know.

In my original article River Runs Through It I fully accept there was evidence which was included that was merely circumstantial and relied purely on inference ie the hugely contrasting no. of BBC Scotland employees who attended the UEFA cup finals.

However there was also evidence of blatant mischief making (at the very least) as evidenced by the Ally McCoist interview. The incident has been dismissed as "inappropriate editting" by BBC Scotland chiefs. We have still never been informed just what was the motivation behind it. You know its bad when even Keevins is calling it "a character assassination" on our manager.

Several months on' date=' and following several protests at Pacific Quay, we still have this organisation besmirching our club. Its not as if we are jumping on the easily offended or paranoia bus - even the Samaritans have felt moved to criticise the Mad Men sketch.

One would have thought that given all the foregoing, BBC Scotland editorial staff would have at least tried to apply greater sensitivity to the their Rangers coverage, given that there is a perception of bias or an anti-Rangers agenda from within our support.

That has clearly not happened given the 2 recent incidents.

It was also be interesting to know, why BBC Scotland, who have set themselves up as something of a flagship against sectarianism

(1) Were the only major news outlet in Scotland who did not report the Hartson/Pearson IRA singalong

(2) Seemed to be so reluctant to censure their employees for use of the word "Hun" when the major anti-sectarian charity in Scotland has, for a number of years now, confirmed the sectarian nature of that word on their website.

I confess I do not know enough about how the BBC operates, and you could be right that such a ban (though my understanding is that they just didnt get an invite) will be of little consequence.

Notwithstanding whether there is a bias or anti-Rangers cluture or not, I dont see why our club should be welcoming a media organisation who has treated both our club, its employees and its support with absolute contempt over the last few years.[/quote']

I'm all for complaining, and loudly, when rubbish like the opening credits the other night is shown. I'm just not for bans, I don't think they work, I'm also uncomfortable with banning the media in general, it's all a bit totalitarian for my tastes. But I understand why others are sick of it and fel it's all that's left.

I'm all for complaining, and loudly, when rubbish like the opening credits the other night is shown. I'm just not for bans, I don't think they work, I'm also uncomfortable with banning the media in general, it's all a bit totalitarian for my tastes. But I understand why others are sick of it and fel it's all that's left.

I completely agree amms. I don't think bans are going to work at all. They're more likely to have the opposite effect than what's desired to be honest. There's actually a level of evidence to back that up too if you consider that Whyte banned them last season (albeit for very different reasons). Here they are now (ok, were), back in the door after their ban and if anything they just upped the anti. The VB protests at Pacific Quay didn't work either and I knew they wouldn't. These things just give the apparently untouchable chuckle bunch at Pacific Quay CSC something to chuckle about. They go out of their way to do certain things to wind us up and they get a buzz from it when they succeed. The problem is, what do we do?

I was listening to BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday morning, the general sports show was hosted by former Scottish rugby international, John Beattie. His guests were former Boxing world champion, Alex Arthur and former world champion cyclist, Gareme Obree. The topic in discussion was the Ryder Cup and the aggresive atmosphere being faced by team Europe by local American golf fans. Thus, John Beattie poses the question, what's the worst atmosphere faced by you guys?

Obree answers with a world championship hosted in 35-40 degree heat, Alex Arthur talks about a fight in Glasgow where banners were hung from bridges across the M8 motorway. John Beattie then offers the Scottish international team bus being stoned on the way to a game, in Edinburgh. Both Arthur and Obree chorus, "in Edinburgh"? Beattie replies, "ach they were young Hibs supporters thinking we were the Rangers team bus". Everybody laughs in the studio.

The point of this bon mot is to highlight the surprise and discust that our own rubgy team being subjected to smashed windows on their bus in Edinburgh, to the immediate change to sniggering relief that the motive was acceptable because the kids thought it was the Rangers team bus.