Rangers invite Linfield (and others) for a friendly

As reported on Ulster-TV

Rangers chief offers friendly to Linfield

Rangers boss Charles Green has revealed he has offered Linfield a chance of a friendly match with the Scottish League team in Glasgow.

Speaking during a visit to Belfast, Mr Green said: "We've invited Linfield to come over and play at Ibrox and we are happy to extend that offer to other clubs in the league here.

"The issue is now for the secretaries of both clubs to come up with a date and we're looking at during the international break. But of course, getting 5,000 fans across the sea in the winter is not easy."

The Rangers boss held talks with First Minister Peter Robinson, as well as representatives from the Irish League and local business.

"I made a promise to some of the fans I met a few months ago that at the first opportunity I would come over," he said.

"We also wanted to come over and explain to new investors at Rangers, face-to-face, what our vision is for the club and how we hope to take them back to the top."

He also revealed they are looking to build closer relationships with local football clubs.

"We are looking to work in collaboration with a couple of clubs here and perhaps tap into the depth of talent that there is in Northern Ireland."

The club chief said he felt that Rangers has been treated harshly since their insolvency.

He said: "My frustration is the way the SFA and SPL have dealt with Rangers. That has been clearly unfair, and continues to be so.

"But Ally McCoist has done a fantastic job over the past two or three weeks and we are starting to see the result of those endeavours."

Peter Robinson, who is a Rangers fan himself, echoed the chief executive's words.

"I think anybody that looks at it will see that the team and the support have been punished for the sins of those who managed them in the past," he said.

"There needs to be recognition that there is a very new and different outfit running the club now."

Speaking of which, the club should finally start something to celebrate our 140-years of existence, even though the better part of the 140th has been one of despair.