Scotland...Brace yourself

Interesting excerpt below from a 2004 interview with Rod Mckenzie of Harper MacLeod, taken from the Firm magazine. Gives a good insight into the guys modus operandi and how he might have approached the Rangers assignment. The piece was titled "Natural born killer"...

He says: “Typically, in a litigation, I will make a very early decision about strategy for the case. I think, ‘This is how I will get a result for my client in this case.’ That strategy can involve a number of different elements. It can involve issues of fact, where we may have very strong evidence of fact or good documentation. It could involve a legal point, where we isolate that point and set out to get a victory on that alone. It could also be that the other side is weak, either because it is not well represented or because it hasn’t got much money. It can sometimes be because the other party needs an early settlement as they need the cash quickly to move their business on. Occasionally you play out certain cases in the glare of publicity but you only use the media to win the right sorts of case.

“You pull all of those things together and then ask what it is that the client actually wants to achieve here. That must always be your primary driver. For most business people, they want to be able to go away and make money; they don’t want their resources to be diverted into a large litigation that will be drawn out over a long period of time.

“The critical thing about winning litigation is to have a strategy and to drive forward with that. That does not mean to drive forward blindly and if new things turn up in the case you ignore them just because they don’t fit with your predefined strategy. It is easy in the early days to get a bit woods and trees about litigation, as some solicitors think that they have to get this statement, that statement, this documentation from him, that documentation from them and so on. You have to stop and think, ‘What are we trying to achieve here?’”

I wonder who he sees the client being in our case?

Nice find Crawf.

Hope our legal team are equally as ruthless.