Did the hostility towards Green initially not help our football situation?

Firstly I realise the directions this thread could go but I hope it won't.

With a good portion of fans now not believing Ally McCoist is the man for the job, it's made me think back to June when there were strong rumours of his resignation after Charles Green apparently had a plan to replace him. The reaction was one of despair and anger from our fanbase it must be said, and the motives of changing the manager were though to be related to a clean out of Rangers men or something along those lines, certainly not football. So it would be interesting to see what the reaction would be now if a similar sequence occurred.

The question i'm asking is, did Green then want to bring in his own manager and coaching staff in order to implement a fresh new football era at Rangers but the reaction of the supporters forced him to stick with Ally? This is of course total speculation, I don't know if Green has ever even talked about his football philosophy.

Just to be clear i'm not having a go at anyone here so lets not get into the same old debates about whether Green is a conman or not, nor the same old Ally debates because i'd rather this didn't get merged. Football was the last thing on our minds in June and Ally McCoist was something of a comfort blanket that we were clinging on to amidst a load of uncertainty and people coming in we didn't know, so the reaction towards him nearly going was understandable in many ways.

I suppose what i'm considering is, did Charles Green see a situation like this coming back then, but the emotions of the time just made it too difficult to do anything about it?

Edited by simplythebest

Green couldn't have made an informed decision about McCoist then, none of us could. I'm still not sure we can.

Our football 'situation' has been hampered by everything that's happened in the last 12 months, Green not taking control until mid-June didn't help, firing McCoist at that point would have led to us being in a worse postion than we are now. He could have replaced him with Guardiola I still think the support would have turned their backs on him.

Don't think he saw it coming, and at the time even if he did he probably couldn't. If he had sacked Ally then he doesn't sell anywhere near the amount of ST's he did, so he's caught between a rock and hard place.

I actually thought at the time he should've took the step and had a complete clear out from top to bottom, we had the time to rebuild even if we missed straight promotion up the divisions. So I think we are suffering as a team because he didn't get rid.

It's amazing what one little comment made out a car window can do.

Ah cheers. Replacing all significant staff within the club would have been a high risk venture, for once because of Ally being highly treasured man he is and apart from that, nobody knew who we would've been able to bring in as replacements. Maybe we would be better off now if that step would have been taken, maybe we'd be an utter disaster. I couldn't tell.

I think if the SFA and SPL cabal offered Green and Ally the chance to stay in the SPL in exchange for a list of sanctions which included the stripping of titles and Green was initially willing to go for it, but Ally put his foot down and told him the fans wouldn't accept it and would go balistic, then Ally has a juicy piece of dirt on CG.

I think if the SFA and SPL cabal offered Green and Ally the chance to stay in the SPL in exchange for a list of sanctions which included the stripping of titles and Green was initially willing to go for it, but Ally put his foot down and told him the fans wouldn't accept it and would go balistic, then Ally has a juicy piece of dirt on CG.

I've no doubt Green would've took the punishment to stay in the SPL if he thought he could've got it by the fans.