Apologies for Dummies

Just meant I can't see much point in me apologising for things I had nothing to do with, regardless of my opinion of them. Probably not the best example but I'm trying to get my head around oppositional tension and anti-referentiality in the poetry of Yeats so there's not much brain power left over.

Ok. Just thought it was a strange example, as having fought there and met with many islanders - cant see anything to apologise for.

There's plenty of evidence that it did. We shouldn't try and argue that there was no policy in place when it was evident that there was.

where? catholics have played for rangers for well over 100 years. ref. The Old Firm - Sectarianism, Sport and Society in Scotland (John Donald Publishers, 1984)

Edited by kuznetsov

How many played for us between 1970-1985 for example?

how could anyone know for sure? surely thats a deflection bluedell, i doubt very much it was none. that is a tiny 15 year period in our long history? was this policy you claim we had temporary then?

how could anyone know for sure? surely thats a deflection bluedell, i doubt very much it was none. that is a tiny 15 year period in our long history? was this policy you claim we had temporary then?

I'm sure nobody is arguing that it has existed during the full 140 years, but it did exist during various times. It is you that appears to be claiming that it never existed. Are you claiming that it did not exist at any point during that 15 year period, for example?

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you would come up with someone that played a couple of reserve games during that period, but that hardly supports your argument.

However, given the population of RCs, there was less of a chance statistically that Celtic would have the number of Catholics in their team than there would for Rangers to have none, so they also actively signed people based on religion.

I'm sure there's nothing I can say to make you change your mind, and I don't know what age you are, but it was accepted by virtually all back then that the policy existed during that period and I have seen no evidence to suggest that this belief was incorrect.

I'm sure nobody is arguing that it has existed during the full 140 years, but it did exist during various times. It is you that appears to be claiming that it never existed. Are you claiming that it did not exist at any point during that 15 year period, for example?

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you would come up with someone that played a couple of reserve games during that period, but that hardly supports your argument.

However, given the population of RCs, there was less of a chance statistically that Celtic would have the number of Catholics in their team than there would for Rangers to have none, so they also actively signed people based on religion.

I'm sure there's nothing I can say to make you change your mind, and I don't know what age you are, but it was accepted by virtually all back then that the policy existed during that period and I have seen no evidence to suggest that this belief was incorrect.

i agree with that mate. it is certainly better than blindly claiming we had a certain employment policy would could be understood to be over any or all duration. i am almost 40 bd. i know it was accepted, i fell for it too as a kid but as i got older i didnt want to believe it. i guess i still dont.

any proof such a policy existed? theres plenty evidence it didnt.

No mate I've not because I don't think for a minute it was written in stone somewhere, but saying that we didn't make a huge push to encourage Catholics to join us or to blow the accusation out the water.

Ok. Just thought it was a strange example' date=' as having fought there and met with many islanders - cant see anything to apologise for.[/quote']

Similarly,

The events of spring/early summer 1982 did not amount to a war. How could we declare war on an Argentine fascist junta that did not subscribe to the Articles of War or the Geneva Convention?

The Falklands Conflict saw the task force evict an invasion force that in the ten years previously, had disappeared 35,000 of their own civilian population. Why 2,500 democratic Kelpers should be subjected to fascism and driving on the right hand side of the road, I have no idea.

I suffered 3 weeks of constant sea sickness and occasional encounters with bootnecks to be confronted on the shore of San Carlos Water by a colony of vicious penguins. Still, more agreeable than your chaps replete in the green berets. I believe they are awarded said head dress for showering 4 or 5 times a day?

Ok. Just thought it was a strange example' date=' as having fought there and met with many islanders - cant see anything to apologise for.[/quote']

Well, that's the point really - Cosgrove is still, 24 years after the policy was smashed, looking for an apology where none is needed. Likewise, the Argentine govt., which, as 26th points out, really does have larger skeletons it could be hauling out of the cupboard, has been huffy about the Falklands War of late. Apologies for dummies, right enough. For what good? And for what ulterior motive?

I should say in all honesty I don't subscribe to the media bigging up of the armed forces, but that doesn't mean I'm slagging them off.

I suffered 3 weeks of constant sea sickness and occasional encounters with bootnecks to be confronted on the shore of San Carlos Water by a colony of vicious penguins. Still, more agreeable than your chaps replete in the green berets. I believe they are awarded said head dress for showering 4 or 5 times a day?

Nope not going to nibble on that one 26th.