Gers Land Famous Baxter Shirt

c29c12f108aba1c576f94e3a06d1f923_S.jpg

A FANTASTIC item of football folklore was presented to Rangers today in the shape of the jersey Jim Baxter wore against England in the famous 3-2 victory at Wembley in 1967.

Rangers legend Baxter was the star of the show 45 years ago when the Scots â?? bossed by another Ibrox great Bobby Brown â?? humbled the then world champions with an incredible display of style that bordered on mickey-taking.

Baxter, then with Sunderland, was at his impudent best and there is a lasting image of the swaggering midfielder keeping the ball up in the air as he trotted on the Wembley turf.

Today the shirt worn by Baxter on that incredible occasion was presented to Ally McCoist and Sandy Jardine by lifelong fan Jimmy McGarrity and his son Mark Deighan.

Jimmy takes up the story: â??I became friendly with Alan Hudson of Chelsea in the late 1960s and we were out one day with Alan Ball.

â??Alan Ball had swapped shirts with Jim Baxter after that Wembley game and given it to Alan Hudson later on.

â??Hudson then asked him if he could give it to me because I was a big Rangers fan and I had been at the game in 1967.â?

Jimmy gave the famous shirt to his son Mark who had forgotten all about it until he found it in a box recently when he was clearing out his loft.

Mark said: â??I couldnâ??t believe it when I came across the shirt. I was flabbergasted.

â??It was only then I realised the value of it and I spoke to my Dad and we decided it had to be given to Rangers.â?

Jimmy added: â??Rangers have gone through a lot with the SFA this year so I thought it was only fitting that we give the shirt to Rangers and I hope the fans enjoy seeing it.â?

Read more on the official site...