An idea for league reconstruction....

Note: not fully thought this through yet....

How about wiping the slate totally clean.....dissolve the leagues as they stand just now and restart with a straight forward 3 tier structure - with possibly 16 or 18 teams per division.

The leagues are then randomly populated with the member teams. This may mean that Ceptic end up in Div 3, Us in Div 2, Utd in Div 1 etc.

Over the years, the leagues would then level themselves out, with the cream rising to the top etc. However, in the process of that happening, many of the smaller teams will reap the benefits of regular games against the "big boys", as we are seeing in the 3rd div at the moment.

Combine that with a fairer cut for all teams of sponsorship & TV revenue, and it may just work.

I also think that such a drastic restructuring would bring back interest in the game as a whole (teams playing new opponents etc)....

I see where you're coming from with that radical suggestion, but in general it's better to have divisions which contain teams which operate on roughly the same scale. Ideally any team should stand a reasonable chance of beating any other in the division.

Too many foregone conclusions kill competitions. Years of the SPL being a two-horse race is the root of the current mess, IMHO - and now it's a one-horse race things are only going to get worse. Gradual progress up a tiered system is how clubs grow. Throwing minnows in with the big fish just makes them dependent on scraps.

I'd have a top league of 14 teams. I don't think we have enough quality in Scotland to have more teams than that. Two teams would be relegated. Would have a second league of 16 with the winner being automatically promoted with the 2nd to 5th place teams fighting it out in the play-offs.

Below that the league should be regionalised. it doesn't make financial sense for the likes of Elgin and Peterhead to be travelling down to the likes of Berwick and Annan and vice-versa.

but in general it's better to have divisions which contain teams which operate on roughly the same scale.

If the sponsorship & TV revenue is distributed evenly, I think you would see some of the smaller clubs increasing in stature.

The SPL teams are on a different scale, mainly due to the difference in firstly team revenue & a massive difference in TV/Sponsorship monies.

Some of the smaller teams have already shown this season that at times they can compete with the bigger boys.

Summer football would be a great idea as well.

I'm not sure about summer football but if it was me I'd start the season in July. If nothing else it should help teams do better in Europe plus there's no better feeling than goin to the game in shorts and t-shirts rather than gloves and a tammy. I'd have a break from mid-December to mid-January as well.

I wouldn't be in favour of summer football from say March to November for the simple reason that every major European league runs from the traditional August to May time plus the World Cup and Euros are on over the summer and I wouldn't want our season ruined if we had say 6 or 7 players away on international duty for 3 or 4 weeks.

A longer winter break definitely has to happen. If the Bundesliga can do it why can't Scotland?