Leggoland - Boxing Day

WHY DID UNITED'S STEPHEN THOMPSON QUIT SPL?

YOU have got to hand it to Chuck. He knows how to spin a good old wind up.

And the more I see of and hear Charles Green in action, the more I come to realise he is the chief executive Rangers have needed and Rangers supporters have been pining for, for years.

I canâ??t think of anyone who could have had Dundee United and Dundee United supporters in a bigger tizzy than the one he sent them into on Christmas Eve.

I caught Green being interviewed on Sky Sports and it was a classic ho-ho-ho moment when he said that he had the perfect solution to the Dundee United fears that they would lose out financially because, without Rangers supporters there, they would struggle to fill Tannadice for the Scottish Cup tie.

Greenâ??s solution was simple. Let Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson tell Dundee United fans to stay away, to watch the match on television instead, while he handed over all the tickets to Rangers.

According to chuckling Chuck who managed to say it all with a straight face, Rangers would fill Tannadice with Rangers supporters, United would get their 40 percent of a full house, to do with what they choose, while Rangers would follow through with their promise to donate their 40 percent to charity.

As Eric used to say to Ernie, get out of that!

It was a spellbinding performance of pure bravado, carefully calibrated to cause the maximum offence to everyone associated with Dundee United, club and supporters alike.

We can therefore be sure it will have hardened attitudes against Rangers at the Scottish Daily Mail, where sports editor Dougie McRobb is a hard line anti Rangers Dundee United fanatic.

It was also the Rangers chief executive at his brilliant populist best, picking his target with great care and I wonder if his clever insult had anything to do with the fact that United chairman Stephen Thompson has recently resigned from the Scottish Premier League board in mysterious circumstances, coincidentally around the same time as rumours surfaced of a major story from within either the SPL or SFA which, again according to the jungle drums, one major law firm were hard at work keeping out of the press.

Harper and Macleod?

Whatever the motivation for this latest statement from Charles Green, we can be sure that it didnâ??t just come from off the top of his head. For, despite his blunt speaking professional Yorkshire man routine, Chuck can be as clever as a muster of Mastermind winners and as cute as a symposium of spin doctors when the occasion demands and he is more aware than me, or anyone reading this, of what is going on in the background within the ranks of the anti Rangers brigade who stalk the corridors of power in Stuart Regan, Peter Lawwell and Rod Petrieâ??s Scottish Football Association and Neil Doncaster, Peter Lawwell and Eric Rileyâ??s Scottish Premier League.

But, for all that, his idea of Dundee United handing over all the tickets to Rangers for the Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice is a cracking idea.

I just wish that I had thought of it first.

Of course thatâ??s why I write LeggoLand, while good old Chuck is the chief executive of Rangers.

posted by leggoland @ 08:23