David Goodwillie

If Goodwillie wants to play every week he may not have too much of a choice regards his wage demands once he gets released from Blackburn. Going to Blackburn, who had the over-promoted coach Kean in charge at the time, was a huge mistake. I rate Goodwillie highly and believe he'd do a job for us with the right partner upfront.

You should only get asked once to play for Rangers,

Ally McCoist was asked 3 times. Didn't do him any harm did it?

Not sure we'd have got Goodwillie from Dundee Utd at the time anyway as Whyte was in charge then. After he got a bid rejected he went back with an even lower bid as I recall.

i gave clear and obvious names of players who had come back north of the border. no excuse or reason was needed, it happened. i have no idea why you need to write an essay to attempt to explain why they came back. they did, and that is all that matters.

the point was not valid. you are wrong too. celtic have signed several players from the championship and EPL, we ourselves have signed one or two from down south, the EPL in actual fact. you fall into the trap of believing all players in england are on wages which price them out of moves. that is simply not true. there are players down there who are signable. there are players who are not on 50 grand a week believe it or not. incredible, eh.

whatever you are doing, trolling, looking for fights, attempting to nit pick, stop it. it is boring and i have no desire to get into verbal squabbles at this time.

back on topic please.

Jeezo Kuznetsov, you're a sensitive soul these day! Look, this is a messageboard so when someone states something I've a view on I'll reply, that's kinda the point here mate. I'm not nit-picking or trolling for fuxake, I agree with Cooperfan that a move to the English Premier League pretty much prices a player out of the reach of all Scottish clubs now, I'm allowed to state that and back it up. Your examples were either out of date or exceptions, none of them came from Premiership clubs either with the exception of Maloney and that was a long time ago now. That is 'on topic' as it's pertinent to Goodwillie joining us which is the thread topic.

The average salary in the EPL is now £22,353 a week before bonuses based on last season, so it is higher now and will rise again next season with the new TV deal coming into force. So whilst that means that many are earning less than that they are still on far more money than anyone, even Celtic, can afford. That's not trolling or picking a fight it's stating a fact.

He's in the Championship now with a side struggling I accept, but he still has Premiership salary and he's very unlikely to walk out on that I'd have thought.

You can't compare Goodwillie to Skacel, Anderson or Gordon. I've no idea why you take issue with me pointing that out.

Jeezo Kuznetsov, you're a sensitive soul these day! Look, this is a messageboard so when someone states something I've a view on I'll reply, that's kinda the point here mate. I'm not nit-picking or trolling for fuxake, I agree with Cooperfan that a move to the English Premier League pretty much prices a player out of the reach of all Scottish clubs now, I'm allowed to state that and back it up. Your examples were either out of date or exceptions, none of them came from Premiership clubs either with the exception of Maloney and that was a long time ago now. That is 'on topic' as it's pertinent to Goodwillie joining us which is the thread topic.

The average salary in the EPL is now £22,353 a week before bonuses based on last season, so it is higher now and will rise again next season with the new TV deal coming into force. So whilst that means that many are earning less than that they are still on far more money than anyone, even Celtic, can afford. That's not trolling or picking a fight it's stating a fact.

He's in the Championship now with a side struggling I accept, but he still has Premiership salary and he's very unlikely to walk out on that I'd have thought.

You can't compare Goodwillie to Skacel, Anderson or Gordon. I've no idea why you take issue with me pointing that out.

the original point was not exclusive to the epl, you just made that up there to suit your weak argument.

the out of date and exceptions excuse is pathetic also. they are factually correct, whether it was 5 months ago or 5 years. cross border transfers north do happen. that is a fact.

again you bring up the premiership exclusively, i have no idea why. maybe because you think it suits your weak argument better, sadly it doesnt. we have had forster, mendes and maloney move north from that league. oops. haha.

on topic in which way? goodwillie is a championship player! haha. you are running circles around yourself in here.

why go on about average salaries? who cares? again, the fact remains, there are players in that league that celtic can afford. likewise us if we were in the spl. so its not a fact at all we or celtic cant afford any players from there, quite the opposite in fact, common sense says there are signable players down there and there always will be. you should really stop digging.

how do you know what he earns? you are guessing. i know he was on less wages than most of our experienced players when at utd. i doubt very much he times his salary by at least 10.

i am not comparing them player, skill or stature wise, i used them as proof that players can move back north after being down south. that is a fact.

give it a rest mate, please.

Edited by kuznetsov

It was Goodwillie's agent, ex-St Mirren and Aberdeen player Ricky Gillies, who refused to consider any approach from Rangers, rather than the player himself.

How could an agent refuse an approach from Rangers ? is this the same individual who now works for Bridge litigation ? the mob that employs Ms Gribbon?

the original point was not exclusive to the epl, you just made that up there to suit your weak argument.

Ah, right, my mistake. If only I'd realised you were including the Evostick Conference South Amateur Sunday League in your calculations. Doh.

the out of date and exceptions excuse is pathetic also. they are factually correct, whether it was 5 months ago or 5 years. cross border transfers north do happen. that is a fact.

Righto, so time doesn't matter, that's fine why not use Terry Butcher or Jim Baxter as your example then? That's nuts, even by your standards. As we can't go back in time to sign him the rest of us here on planet earth will have to make do with the current state of football and base our opinions on now. Timelords like you have it so easy.

again you bring up the premiership exclusively, i have no idea why. maybe because you think it suits your weak argument better, sadly it doesnt. we have had forster, mendes and maloney move north from that league. oops. haha.
Please don't put the word 'we' into any sentence including Forster and Maloney, speak for yourself!! Mendes was over 4 years ago, I know you don't think that matters but that's because you're wrong. Forster is a better example, however whilst he was 'bought' from Newcastle he never actually played for them and was in fact a Championship/League 1 player in all but name. However I'll accept he did technically sign from a Premiership club.

on topic in which way? goodwillie is a championship player! haha. you are running circles around yourself in here.

What? I'll type this slowly, it's on topic because the topic is about David Goodwillie.

why go on about average salaries? who cares? again, the fact remains, there are players in that league that celtic can afford. likewise us if we were in the spl. so its not a fact at all we or celtic cant afford any players from there, quite the opposite in fact, common sense says there are signable players down there and there always will be. you should really stop digging.

how do you know what he earns? you are guessing. i know he was on less wages than most of our experienced players when at utd. i doubt very much he times his salary by at least 10.

Who cares? Well you clearly judging by your hysterics on this thread. Average salary is important because it, erm, tells us the average salary of players in that league? You understand that, right? Salary being the main stumbling block to signing someone from that league, right? According to Goodwillie's agent he's on a basic salary of £12,500 a week plus bonuses. I think that's currently unaffordable for any Scottish club.

i am not comparing them player, skill or stature wise, i used them as proof that players can move back north after being down south. that is a fact.

like i say, stop digging.

You're right. As long as a player is out of contract and isn't getting offered another one, is so badly injured no one will take a chance on him, is at the end of his career or is on loan then it's great proof. You're a regular Petrocelli.

How could an agent refuse an approach from Rangers ? is this the same individual who now works for Bridge litigation ? the mob that employs Ms Gribbon?

Goodwillie quoted in the Herald:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/ready-to-step-out-into-the-unknown.14706408?_=903e461ed85ec63c6f8520eefb6ff6a11ade004c

“On the Sunday night I knew I wanted to come to Blackburn and all the other stuff was just talk,” said Goodwillie. “I knew about Rangers’ interest but that was it. I was in a hotel with Ricky Gillies [PFA agent], he made sure my head was clear and I wasn’t thinking about it. I was focused on coming to Blackburn.”

That's how.