David Goodwillie

Guest Cooperfan

Once they move south no one can afford to bring them back.

I assume Gordon is still unemployed. No one in England wants him. No one in Scotland can afford him.

Once they move south no one can afford to bring them back.

I assume Gordon is still unemployed. No one in England wants him. No one in Scotland can afford him.

thats not strictly true. celtic brought back maloney. russell anderson went back to aberdeen. griffiths went to wolves and is now at hibs. skacel went to southampton and has since been back at hearts and is now at dundee hibs.

celtic could no doubt do a deal for gordon, if they didnt have forster.

He was extremely badly advised by those who had their own reasons for doing so.

Whether he was swept along by this or just chased the £££ only he knows.

No idea about his form.

He would have to pay us if he wanted to resurrect his career imo

thats not strictly true. celtic brought back maloney. russell anderson went back to aberdeen. griffiths went to wolves and is now at hibs. skacel went to southampton and has since been back at hearts and is now at dundee hibs.

celtic could no doubt do a deal for gordon, if they didnt have forster.

Russell Anderson was released from his last two English clubs, both cancelling his contracts. His contract at Aberdeen was 'pay if you play' because injuries have meant no club will take a chance on offering him a longer contract. He's basically 'gone home' because he has nowhere else to go.

Griffith is still a Wolves player, he's only on loan at Hibs and is due to return to them in January. For all that it seems unlikely he'll make it at Wolves and I expect he'll be put on the transfer list soon, it's unlikely anyone up here outside Celtic will be able to afford his current salary though.

Skacel's career is coming to an end, he'll be 34 at his next birthday, he's only here because he's known in the league, his previous club was in Cyprus. He was also released by Southampton.

Maloney rejoined Celtic over 4 and half years ago, a lot has changed since then. Even Celtic could not afford to compete with EPL salaries now, even most Championship players would stretch their salary scales.

The issue with Craig Gordon is quite different. His injury is career threatening, clubs are unwilling to take a chance on him currently until he can prove his fitness, he can't prove his fitness because clubs are unwilling to take a chance on him and so on.

He will eventually need to sign a short term contract on a significantly reduced salary than his Sunderland one if he wants to get back into football. If he can prove his fitness and reclaim the form he once had he'll be able to command a salary far out with anything Celtic are currently able to offer.

The point Cooperfan made was valid. Signing players from the EPL or the Championship, even Scottish ones, is highly unlikely. Unless they are at the end of their career, no one, Celtic included, can compete with the salaries even average players are on down there.

It was a sorry affair back when it happened and I think Goodwillie was not exactly without blame. He (and no-one else) opted for a mediocre English team and went the way many predicted, the way many half-decent Scots ended up. Can't say that I followed his "progress" down south, but right now I'd rather take a soon-to-be freebie like Ryan McGowan who knows how to play alongside Templeton and is good enough for Divi 2 and 1. (Which is not to say that McGowan would be one of my preferred choices.)

I think his worth to us depends on how he's responded to the set-backs in his career. He's worth a look but definitely needs to be carefully assessed first.

Prior to his move south I wasn't convinced he'd be good for the team. He came across as being too big for his boots and I felt he could have turned out to be a disruptive influence - more trouble than he was worth.

I'd have thought being taken down a peg or two in England would be good for him - could straighten him out as a professional - but it might have had a more negative psychological effect. Maybe it's put too much of a dent in his confidence.

That was my take on him - maybe I misjudged the guy.

Russell Anderson was released from his last two English clubs, both cancelling his contracts. His contract at Aberdeen was 'pay if you play' because injuries have meant no club will take a chance on offering him a longer contract. He's basically 'gone home' because he has nowhere else to go.

Griffith is still a Wolves player, he's only on loan at Hibs and is due to return to them in January. For all that it seems unlikely he'll make it at Wolves and I expect he'll be put on the transfer list soon, it's unlikely anyone up here outside Celtic will be able to afford his current salary though.

Skacel's career is coming to an end, he'll be 34 at his next birthday, he's only here because he's known in the league, his previous club was in Cyprus. He was also released by Southampton.

Maloney rejoined Celtic over 4 and half years ago, a lot has changed since then. Even Celtic could not afford to compete with EPL salaries now, even most Championship players would stretch their salary scales.

The issue with Craig Gordon is quite different. His injury is career threatening, clubs are unwilling to take a chance on him currently until he can prove his fitness, he can't prove his fitness because clubs are unwilling to take a chance on him and so on.

He will eventually need to sign a short term contract on a significantly reduced salary than his Sunderland one if he wants to get back into football. If he can prove his fitness and reclaim the form he once had he'll be able to command a salary far out with anything Celtic are currently able to offer.

The point Cooperfan made was valid. Signing players from the EPL or the Championship, even Scottish ones, is highly unlikely. Unless they are at the end of their career, no one, Celtic included, can compete with the salaries even average players are on down there.

i gave clear and obvious names of players who had come back north of the border. no excuse or reason was needed, it happened. i have no idea why you need to write an essay to attempt to explain why they came back. they did, and that is all that matters.

the point was not valid. you are wrong too. celtic have signed several players from the championship and EPL, we ourselves have signed one or two from down south, the EPL in actual fact. you fall into the trap of believing all players in england are on wages which price them out of moves. that is simply not true. there are players down there who are signable. there are players who are not on 50 grand a week believe it or not. incredible, eh.

whatever you are doing, trolling, looking for fights, attempting to nit pick, stop it. it is boring and i have no desire to get into verbal squabbles at this time.

back on topic please.