the share issue

my old man bought into the share issue to the tune of 900 quid. he got a share certificate saying that he had 1286 shares but each share is worth a penny. i read it and thats what it says.

can any one explain?

my old man bought into the share issue to the tune of 900 quid. he got a share certificate saying that he had 1286 shares but each share is worth a penny. i read it and thats what it says.

can any one explain?

There are two different things at play here gisabeer....

1. The 1p is the PAR value of the share. Which just basically means what it's issued amount is. The club can select pretty much any value they wish for shares but this is what is known as BOOK value effectively. This is nothing to do with how much the share is WORTH.

2. Your Dad got 1,286 shares for 900 quid which means the MARKET VALUE (actually it would technically be the IPO Open value, but a market value nonetheless) was 70p per share. This is what the share was worth when your Dad bought them.

From what I read the shares went up in early trading to over 90p per share - so if your Dad wished to sell, using that value, he would get 1,157 quid back.

Dont get hung up on the "penny" thing. It isnt a market value, it is just a book value on how much each share is valued at for issuance purposes. What is more important is what the trading value of the shares is presently. At the end of the day shares will be bought and sold for what people think they are worth.

Much like your house, people will only buy shares for what they think they are worth - and currently the RFC shares would appear to be worth more than a penny a share.