Hargreave: Why Iâ??m investing in Rangers Football Club

lets be realistic here mate, a club with a 10 million wage bill is not going to win over a club with a 35 million wage bill over the course of a season, that is just common sense and why the old firm have won 99% of the league titles in the last 50 years and that is why wigan and norwich will never win the premiership.

Your picking up on one point and missing the other. CG and others have made a big push towards growing revenue. So this is obviously a central piece of their strategy, if they can grow the revenue then the wage bill allocation will increase along with it. Of course if this doesn't work as they plan then they will surely go back to look at the wage to turnover %. At the moment our board is taking a significant % of that which is scandalous but thats another story.

PLus if you look back at our squads in the past, it was always had some duds taking home a massive paychecks (James Beattie for example) while contributing zip. IF we can eradicate that, and continue to develop the youth players then i can't see why we couldn't compete with them for titles.

Your picking up on one point and missing the other. CG and others have made a big push towards growing revenue. So this is obviously a central piece of their strategy, if they can grow the revenue then the wage bill allocation will increase along with it. Of course if this doesn't work as they plan then they will surely go back to look at the wage to turnover %. At the moment our board is taking a significant % of that which is scandalous but thats another story.

PLus if you look back at our squads in the past, it was always had some duds taking home a massive paychecks (James Beattie for example) while contributing zip. IF we can eradicate that, and continue to develop the youth players then i can't see why we couldn't compete with them for titles.

it will grow of course it will but not enough to give us a level playing field with celtic. we would need a turnover of around 90 million if we are capping wages at 30/35% and that is never going to happen.

i agree with the no more duds bit.

it will grow of course it will but not enough to give us a level playing field with celtic. we would need a turnover of around 90 million if we are capping wages at 30/35% and that is never going to happen.

i agree with the no more duds bit.

I would be interested to see the side by side figures for the three in a row years under Smith. If i remember correctly we spent less than them on wages year in year out. So it is possible.

Another thing to remember, Hearts finished 2nd with a wage bill far less than we had at that time and if Vlad didn't lose the plot and sack Burley they may of had a chance.

I would be interested to see the side by side figures for the three in a row years under Smith. If i remember correctly we spent less than them on wages year in year out. So it is possible.

Another thing to remember, Hearts finished 2nd with a wage bill far less than we had at that time and if Vlad didn't lose the plot and sack Burley they may of had a chance.

no, it isnt possible. the wages were not that different between us when under walter smith, certainly no where near the difference they would be if we capped at 30%. our 3 in a row squad was enormous and in the end we could not afford to carry it hence the level of debt which led to the bank taking over.

hearts finished above one of our worst ever rangers teams. sure they had a much smaller wage bill but they had no chance of catching celtic over the season and it only proves how poor we were that year.

Edited by kuznetsov

No club in Scotland needs a wage bill of anywhere near £35 million , we have been screaming for years to get he club run properly and a wage bill of 30-35% turnover is a great start , don't know why the hysteria over it

No club in Scotland needs a wage bill of anywhere near £35 million , we have been screaming for years to get he club run properly and a wage bill of 30-35% turnover is a great start , don't know why the hysteria over it

no they dont you are right but celtic have and if anyone wants to challenge them for the title then they need to get close to it at least. its not a case of doing what is right for shareholders or to look good on a balance, it is about how to win a two horse race and keep fans interested.