What's the reality with the Sky / ESPN TV deals?

Have seen a lot of rumours around these deals, but does anyone know what the actual state of affairs is?

Last year the SPL claimed to have a 5 year deal with Sky / ESPN, but it's now reported that ESPN have an opt out clause. Is this right and do Sky have the same opt out? Also, what's the deal with our games? Charles Green said he wouldn't agree to such a deal again, so was the deal for Sky/ESPN to cover SFL games a 1 year agreement, or is that part of the 5 year Sky deal - if indeed that does exist?

It seems strange that the SPL want to rush through reconstruction if they actually do have the security of a 5 year deal, which is why i'd personally doubt it exists (certainly not without an opt out).

Edited by bigy

Guest Cooperfan

All this nonsense regarding league reconstruction tells me one thing. They need Rangers for the TV deal to continue, Rangers were not willing to play ball, so all this reconstruction is to force us into it.

All this nonsense regarding league reconstruction tells me one thing. They need Rangers for the TV deal to continue, Rangers were not willing to play ball, so all this reconstruction is to force us into it.

CG is on record as saying he'll not sign next season's SKY deal. If he sticks to this what happens to reconstruction if no SKY deal (without us) to pay the monies promised to clubs if they voted for these proposals?

CG is on record as saying he'll not sign next season's SKY deal. If he sticks to this what happens to reconstruction if no SKY deal (without us) to pay the monies promised to clubs if they voted for these proposals?

If there's reconstruction then we either agree to the league rules or have no league to play in. Unless we have elsewhere to go there's not much we can do about it.

If there's reconstruction then we either agree to the league rules or have no league to play in. Unless we have elsewhere to go there's not much we can do about it.

and these rules say we must accept this SKY deal.? sky are perfectly entitled to show other teams games. why wouldn't they do that?

It wouldn't make good business sense to televise Rangers games when they weren't wanted. I'm sure CG will have stressed this to them in talks he had with them.

Perspective.

if we're not in a league there's no TV deal and no income from us.

This is a two way street.

Or a better analogy is a 4 man poker game - SFA, SPL, SFL and us. We've got two aces in the hole with another two on the table.

Perspective.

if we're not in a league there's no TV deal and no income from us.

This is a two way street.

Or a better analogy is a 4 man poker game - SFA, SPL, SFL and us. We've got two aces in the hole with another two on the table.

I know what you're getting at, but its a game at which we don't have a seat at the table, Unless we have another league to go to, we can't bluff on this.

There will be a league in Scotland next season with or without us, and with or without a TV deal. I don't think we are seriously in a position to threaten to quit the league because a TV deal will be imposed on us.