Below is the video of England legend Paul Gascoigne that received

widespread attention yesterday after it was released by the Sunday Sun

newspaper.

Gascoigne appeared in a terrible state at a charity event in

Northampton on Thursday and the clip is distressing, simply out of

concern for a human being.

The fact this is one of the leading footballers of a generation, arguably

the catalyst behind Englandâ??s best World Cup appearance since

winning the trophy in 1966, just makes it hugely sad.

A raft of former footballers have come out urging the PFA to step in

and help Gazza but the general consensus among people that know the

45-year-old is that he may be beyond saving now.

Gascoigneâ??s agent said: â??Maybe no one can save himâ? and Gary

Lineker Tweeted: â??I can only hope he finds peace somehow, but fear

those hopes may be forlorn.�

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the PFA, has also pointed out that

Gascoigne has received plenty of help. â??If we are not careful, it is going

to be akin to George Best. It is unfortunate, but we try to keep going. I

canâ??t think of a player who has had more support and constant help

over the number of years that we have been there for Paul.�

For comparisonâ??s sake, Gascoigne is currently 45. George Best died

aged 59.

Video of Paul Gascoigneâ??s sad and distressing charity appearance is

below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T2Tv-2CCqU8

( probably need to cut and paste the link )

seen this the other night but didnt want to bring it on here. very sad indeed. get well soon paul, a real footballing legend!

Couldn't agree more, don't think anyone really wants to see this.....absolutely tragic. Can't understand why anyone would have let this Q & A go ahead when clearly in such a bad way. Can only hope it is the catalyst for him to seek more treatment but I genuinely fear the worst. I'm sure the thoughts of all Rangers fans are with Paul, all the best Gazza.

Couldn't agree more, don't think anyone really wants to see this.....absolutely tragic. Can't understand why anyone would have let this Q & A go ahead when clearly in such a bad way. Can only hope it is the catalyst for him to seek more treatment but I genuinely fear the worst. I'm sure the thoughts of all Rangers fans are with Paul, all the best Gazza.

his agent chasing the dollar most likely. and the sun just lapped it up parading him in this state in front of the world. sickening. a real shame for the man.

LONDON (Reuters) - Former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne, who has lapsed in his battle with alcoholism, will receive treatment in the United States after "willingly" travelling there, his management company said on Monday.

"Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days," GamePlan Solutions said in a statement, adding that Gascoigne was an alcoholic with "complex issues."

Go See Do Orlando: New iPad Entertainment Magazine

"He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance."

No details about the location of the clinic were given.

Players' union chief Gordon Taylor said earlier on Monday that Gascoigne needed 24-hour attention.

The 45-year-old's agent Terry Baker said at the weekend that Gascoigne needed "immediate help" and called on the English Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) to intervene.

"He sounds as if he needs almost a 24-hour watching brief at the moment," PFA boss Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It seems as if he needs somebody with him all the time just to make sure that he's looked after and is not going to do anything silly."

Taylor said he had spoken to Gascoigne after the PFA paid for the former Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Rangers player to attend a detox program at a well-known clinic for sportsmen suffering from addictions.

"I've spoken to Paul over the weekend and he's said it's just a blip. But it really is down to him. We just don't want this to be another George Best tragedy," he said.

"He does need a big support system and he's got it from lots of friends. But there is a frustration that when things look to be improving, it all goes off wire."

Taylor refuted suggestions by former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel on Twitter that the PFA had not done enough to help Gascoigne.

"There isn't a player we've done more for over my time at the PFA," he said.

"In fact, we've been criticized for doing as much as we have, because he has not made the improvements that some of our other members have."

Former Manchester United great Best died after a long struggle with alcoholism in 2005.

Probably my favourite memory of Gazza in a Rangers jersey was standing in the shed at Firhill as he proceeded to take the complete piss out of Thistle's Billy McDonald. I'm sure many people will remember the incident when McDonald completely lost the plot and was chasing after anyone in a Rangers jersey looking for retribution. As he ran to take a wild kick, Gazza simply nutmegged him and then bent over to stick his arse at McDonald who was red carded for the lunge at fresh air! Absolute genius. Shows how far our standards have fallen, can't help but feel that in Ian Black we almost now have our own Billy McDonald! One thing is for sure, we certainly don't have anything like Gazza.

Probably my favourite memory of Gazza in a Rangers jersey was standing in the shed at Firhill as he proceeded to take the complete piss out of Thistle's Billy McDonald. I'm sure many people will remember the incident when McDonald completely lost the plot and was chasing after anyone in a Rangers jersey looking for retribution. As he ran to take a wild kick, Gazza simply nutmegged him and then bent over to stick his arse at McDonald who was red carded for the lunge at fresh air! Absolute genius. Shows how far our standards have fallen, can't help but feel that in Ian Black we almost now have our own Billy McDonald! One thing is for sure, we certainly don't have anything like Gazza.