Ally - Not Wanting To Put Pressure On The Lads

RANGERS boss Ally McCoist has hinted he may have to bring in a new centre-back in a bid to solve his teamâ??s worrying fragility at dead-ball situations.

Having conceded numerous goals this season from set-pieces into their penalty area, the Ibrox side were undone again as Stirling snatched a 1-1 draw at Forthbank through Ross Forsythâ??s headed equaliser.

The right-backâ??s leveller â?? which came six minutes into the second period after Andy Little had given Rangers a first-half lead â?? came as the Light Bluesâ?? back four failed to deal with a Kieran McAnespie free-kick.

McCoist says the problem will need to be addressed when the Third Division leadersâ?? signing ban ends on September 1.

The Ibrox manager said: â??Without wanting to say anything that would put pressure on the lads, I would have to say that the disappointment at set-plays would indicate we need to be stronger in that area.

â??Is it an aggression thing?

â??Partly that, because they were more aggressive in that area than us.

â??We put equally as good, if not better, balls into their box from set-plays and they headed them away.

â??Itâ??s something we are looking at. We are in a good position, we have had three draws in 17 games and managed to win the rest.

â??Itâ??s just about putting everything in perspective, but I am disappointed with the second-half performance.â?

I genuinely believe that Ally is missing the point entirely. He seems to believe that because we are top of the 4th tier of Scottish football that everything else can be forgiven. We have seen poor performances from a squad that irrespective of quality, has the second highest payroll in the country. After every poor performance he comes out and states that how disappointed he is, and how hard they are working to overcome the mistakes. All that I see is - 1. players that are unable to take a set piece; 2. players that are unable to defend a set piece. Neither require quantum mathematics to improve upon.

If they are working hard to eradicate these problems (as stated in today's papers), does it mean that - a. the coaching is deficient; b. the players are not concerned at letting down Ally; c. the players are complacent due to the league basically being won; d. players couldn't give a f*ck as there is no consequence?

Answers on a postcard please!

"“We put equally as good, if not better, balls into their box from set-plays and they headed them away."

I love Ally but does he really believe that nonsense. Our set-pieces were utterly dreadful and have been for a number of years.

With every sentence he utters he is losing me.

This guy will go down in history as a great Rangers player and it is merited to the nth degree.

As a Manager,however,his lame excuses cannot hide the fact that he is way out of his element and all i can see is a great playing career and reputation being shattered by inept tactical awareness and hangers on praising him on all things he does and says.

It has taken him until now to see and admit something that was glaringly obvious at the start of the season.

Edited by cail

Guest DietofWorms

I'm a wee bit perturbed at 'not wanting to put pressure' on the lads.

would training drills and some basic offside and marking tactics be pressurising players...?