Ally McCoist says attitude is correct

Ally McCoist today refuted accusations that his players are lying down on the job after Kyle Hutton's Twitter comments sparked a social media storm.

Ally McCoist says attitude is correct

In the wake of last weekend's shock home defeat to Annan, the midfielder Tweeted after training that he was heading home to stick on the boxset of American CIA drama Homeland.

Furious Ibrox punters perceived that as a lack of effort from a team who been victims of a giant-killing. However, the Rangers boss (left) insists that there is no danger of any of his players showing the wrong kind of attitude â?? although he has warned them about the can of worms the internet can open.

"There is not a football team in the world who work 9am-5pm," said McCoist.

"The object of the team and training is to make sure they are ready for the next game. I have to tell you that training has not changed all that much in the last 30-odd years.

"Every manager and coach's job is not to over-train them or under-train them; it's finding a balance.

"If anyone needs reassurance we have coaches and fitness staff, and their job is to prepare the boys for the games. They do that to the best of their ability, and they do it very well.

"With the greatest of respect, that is a criticism that would be levelled at me and it is one that I would totally refute.

"They do their technical stuff, their gym work, their pool work."

While McCoist was irritated by both the performance and the defeat last week, he does not believe he has to be seen to be cracking the whip at Murray Park.

There were calls for the players to be brought in to do extra sessions and to forfeit their days off by supporters, but the Ibrox boss believes such tactics are not constructive.

"I certainly wouldn't do it for spite," he said. "If I thought it would benefit the team or certain individuals, I would, but I wouldn't do it for needless punishment."

McCoist, who will not consider a Twitter ban, added: "He [Hutton] has posed himself a problem, but in a normal week it's a throwaway line that no-one bothers with.

"It's commonsense. I would far rather that I asked them to use commonsense than start banning things."

Someone should tell him the bit in bold is true re Rangers but not of anyone else. Paul Le Guen tried to modernise it once but we rushed back to a few hours a wek and curries and beers were taken off the banned list.

Ally's interview comments re football have been as shockingly bad as his defence of the club has been outstandingly good. A great ambassador is our Ally....but when it comes to training, tactics, transfers, controlling games and talking to the press re such matters - oh dear.

A couple of statements from Ally that are a bit worrying. I normally can see the reasoning argument but Im afraid if he thinks the players are currently as fit and prepared as they could be then he is in the wrong job.

"They do their technical stuff, their gym work, their pool work."

Says it like he doesnt know what technical stuff they do. Obviously did his homework on Elgin so reshuffled the team worrying about them.....