Green: 'I'd sack Lionel Messi if he made the same comments as Fran Sandaza'

Charles Green insists he would sack Lionel Messi if the Barcelona superstar made remarks similar to those which saw Francisco Sandaza sacked by Rangers.

Spanish striker Sandaza had his contract terminated last week for comments made in a phone call with a Glasgow-based prankster who claimed to be a football agent who could get him a move to Major League Soccer.

The former St Johnstone player spoke openly of wanting a move away from Ibrox and encouraged the “agent” to contact him directly before making any approach to the club for his services, something which is against Scottish FA and FIFA regulations.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with STV, Green said: "My position is Ally McCoist last year wanted Sandaza. We signed Sandaza and everyone was happy with Sandaza.

"In fairness to the lad, he had some injuries which perhaps didn't allow him to show his best.

"Whether it was Lionel Messi... If Lionel Messi was a Rangers player and he was recorded saying 'I don't want to play for Rangers, get me a contract, I'll go and sign for another club, give it to me don't go through the club,' I'd sack Lionel Messi. Anyone, it wouldn't matter.

"If anyone denigrates this club, if anyone has no respect for the badge, if anyone doesn't want to work here, then go.

"What we are going to do is make sure this club is not being reported for the wrong reasons or players stupid enough to make those comments to someone they've never met or never spoken to and make those disparaging remarks.

"It wasn't, to my mind, the issue he's told someone he was on £4,000 a week. My salary is on the internet. It's not about telling someone 'I'm on a salary'.

"It's the comments he made that said he would happily leave this club, he didn't want to be here and he came for the money. We want people here who want to play because it's Rangers."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/220632-green-id-sack-lionel-messi-if-he-made-the-same-comments-as-fran-sandaza/

He has to say this whether it's true or not.

If he was going to say anything at all about the Sandaza incident, all he should have said is that Sandaza broke his contract and there was no option other than to release him. Done.

If he was going to say anything at all about the Sandaza incident, all he should have said is that Sandaza broke his contract and there was no option other than to release him. Done.

Maybe, but it's an exaggeration to make a point. It's hardly the worst thing in comparison to his other mistakes recently.

Maybe, but it's an exaggeration to make a point. It's hardly the worst thing in comparison to his other mistakes recently.

It's not the Messi comment I'm bothered about even although I think that's needless nonsense.

It's his other comments about the reason for sacking Sandaza that bother me. For a bunch of reasons he should have either not commented at all or should simply have said that Sandaza broke the non disclosure agreement in his contract and there was no option for the club.