We rose from the ashes to take on best of Europe.. so can Rangers

Malaga chief sends Gers a message of hope

MALAGA have vowed to invite Rangers to their glamour summer tournament â?? once they get back to the SPL.

Just like Gers, the Champions League shock troops were forced to reform in the lower divisions after going out of business in the early 90s.

President Francisco Aguilar â?? the man credited with saving the La Liga outfit from extinction â?? has sympathised with the Ibrox sideâ??s plight over the past 12 months.

Now he plans to ask Ally McCoistâ??s men to play in the Costa del Sol competition once they eventually return to the top flight.

Aguilar, 63, revealed: â??When I read about Rangers, my first thought was about my beloved Malaga.

â??Iâ??ve experienced what Rangers have been through. I know the feelings. I know the sleepless nights and the tears.

â??The history of Malaga goes hand to hand with Rangers. But Rangers is a bigger club because it has won a lot of trophies.

â??They belong to the elite clubs of European football, not to the lower leagues.

â??Talking about Rangers in football is like talking about a good Spanish wine, a Cuban cigar or a good Scottish whisky. Youâ??re talking about a genuine historic football club.

â??I watched a program about Rangers on Spanish TV and saw them playing in front of 50,000 fans in the Third Division.

â??My thoughts travelled back many years when Malaga played in the Spanish Third Division in front of 30,000 fans in La Rosaleda stadium.

â??We were struggling for years but this year we have experienced the glamour of European football, something Rangers were used to.

â??If Rangers get back to the SPL Malaga would love to invite them to play in the Costa del Sol tournament. This competition has a 40-year history. Every summer prestigious clubs take part and it would be amazing to have Rangers here. It would be an incredible celebration. The impact of Rangers coming would be huge.â?

Aguilar admits the agony of seeing his side nearly disappear is still raw.

When Club Deportivo Malaga were on the brink of going broke he separated them from their reserve team, which was then the vehicle for their rise back up the divisions.

He said: â??July 31 1992 felt like the day that CD Malaga died. The Spanish FA, together with the Spanish Sports Ministry, had forced all football clubs to change their status to a limited sports company.

â??We had debts in the region of 12 million euros, then failed to become a limited sports company. We were the first club in Spain who failed to do this.

â??If weâ??d managed to collect enough money to convert the club to a limited company we could have survived. I was the vice president. I had depression. I was crying because my team was dead.

â??On the advice of some friends I secretly separated CD Malaga from our reserve side Atletico Malagueño. We did this legal manoeuvre because we were powerless to save the club financially.

â??The decision helped us start in the Third Division with Atletico Malagueño. If it hadnâ??t been made weâ??d have finished up playing against the firemen or water company teams in the lower divisions.

â??When we won promotion to the Second Division A we changed our name from Atletico Malagueño to Malaga Club de Futbol. Weâ??ve suffered a lot.

â??My wife Ana told me to forget about Malaga and football, but I said I couldnâ??t. Iâ??ve worked for this club for 30 years for free. Itâ??s been a rollercoaster. I could write a book about whatâ??s happened.â?

Despite their latest cash woes, Malaga have stunned the continent under manager Manuel Pellegrini this term.

They reached the Champions League quarter-finals before being controversially knocked out by Borussia Dortmund.

Aguilar says Malagaâ??s story should give Gers hope and added: â??Iâ??ve witnessed the bad days, now I can enjoy these glorious moments.

â??Weâ??ve been blessed with the arrival of Sheik Abdullah ben Nasser Al Thani, who has helped us get glory in European football.

â??He had a house in Marbella and fell in love with Malaga CF. Weâ??ve bounced back and I hope Rangers can too.

â??What Rangers fans have been through is an experience and a learning process which will help them to be stronger and wiser.

â??Malagaâ??s experience in Europe has made us realise we have to expand and we would love to have many friends, including Rangers.

â??I hope to see Rangers over here playing in La Rosaleda soon. It would mean Rangers is back in business once again.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4906190/We-rose-from-the-ashes-to-take-on-best-of-Europe-so-can-Rangers.html#ixzz2Ri4Oe08k