Club Statement - Walter Smith

Taken from the News Feed at top of the page, put it here in case it wasn't noticed.

WALTER SMITH*has agreed to become Chairman of The Rangers International Football Club plc.

The Club legend takes over from Malcolm Murray who has agreed to step aside.

*Mr Murray, a lifelong Rangers fan, agreed to the change to accommodate the former manager who spoke of his honour and pride at becoming chairman of the Club which he has already served so well through two hugely successful stints as manager.

*â??Malcolm stepped forward at a time when the Club needed direction and I will always be grateful to him for that,â?? said Walter. â??But we move on now and face up to the many challenges ahead as we try to rebuild and strengthen this Club.

â??Rangers should always be at the pinnacle of the game and the fans deserve nothing less.

â??Although I have been on the Board for some months this will be another departure for me but there are enough directors around to make sure we will make the kind of progress necessary and which our fans want.

â??Unity among the directors is vital. We must all be on the same page as often as possible. We wonâ??t always agree but Rangers, this Club and our fans must always come first.

â??It is a great honour to be asked to take up this position and it goes without saying that I feel proud as well as humble. However, no one should believe that I see my role as a passive one.

â??That hasnâ??t been my way in the past and it wonâ??t be my way in the future.â??

Chief Executive Craig Mather said: â??The Board believes the change will help drive the Club forward and we could not have a better man at the helm than Walter Smith.â??

A lifelong supporter Malcolm Murray was appointed chairman 12 months ago and has worked to promote and protect the Club. He helped negotiate a way out of the troubles which threatened to cause irreparable damage and was one of the first to step forward when Rangers needed direction.

Mr Murray added: â??After a year as chairman throughout a period which has probably been the most turbulent in Rangersâ?? history, I have decided to step down from my role so that our former manager, Walter Smith, can succeed me.

â??Walter, who certainly doesnâ??t need any recommendation from me, has my support and I believe he can bring stability and focus to the Club as we look to the future of this fantastic club.

â??I am a Rangers fan. My family are all Rangers fans and not a single one of us would ever consider turning away from the club no matter the difficulties placed before us.

â??It is my intention to continue supporting Rangers and to help in every way I can.â??

The new chairmanâ??s first managerial spell at Ibrox started on April 16, 1991, and following stints with Everton and then Scotland he began his second tour of duty on January 10, 2007. He did, of course, complete the Nine-In-A-Row sequence first time around wining 13 trophies in all.

He collected eight more â?? three championships, two Scottish Cups and two League Cups â?? on his return.

Read more on the official site...

it's a good compromise. green wanted rid of mm. the other side wanted rangers men in charge.

this rather achieves both.

it also makes an egm very difficult. if ahmed wants to force through changes walter going as chairman will be a huge thing.

it will be very very difficult for zeus to try to take back control now without upsetting a lot of fans and causing further carnage.

hopefully we can go forward with what we have got.

It`s tough to see how Murray can stay on the board while BS is still there but at least today`s business has been conducted with the sort of decorum we expect and has been sadly missing of late .

Edited by sannybear
spelling corrected

It`s tough to see how Murray can stay on the board while BS is still there but at least today`s business has been conducted with the sort of decorum we expect and has been sadly missing of late .

stockbridge isn't on the board. is he?