Any smart a**** on here?

Yeah, pretty sure Zappa/BD from the original thread were correct.

1873 our 'official' year of registration and 1981, the completion of the modern Ibrox with the four main stands instead of terracing.

Rangers were founded in the first week of February 1872.

All early Scottish football publications and club recollections cite 1872 as the founding of the club. Thus, why 1873?

It's nothing to do with registration, constitution, first participation in competitive matches, .............. etc. The change is much more mundane and is the result of one man's failure to meet a publication deadline. Rangers first official official history of the club was penned by John Allan, 'The Story of the Rangers - Fifty Years of Football 1873-1923'. John Allan missed the 1922 deadline and simply changed the year of founding to 1873. Allan was not so much a historian as a statistician and fierce PRO of the club. He would pen another two books. His nephew, William Allison succeeded him and penned, 'Rangers - the New Era'.

As to the 1981 reference, the new stadium was completed ie the Govan Stand in that year. The Govan replaced the Centenary Stand which only lasted a decade.

RE: 1873:

From the club's website:

"The date of 1873 is recognised because that was the year when the club had their first annual meeting and officers were elected. Rangers were becoming businesslike."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/club/history/club-history/item/499-founding-fathers

Unfortunately, I think we all know the club are no more likely to get this information correct than anyone else. :(

Thanks guy's...

It was myself who originally posed this question a couple of years ago (couldn't find that thread BD) and at the time it seemed feasible to accept Zappas explanation for the 1981 date.

The crests are actually mosaics

I found this picture....

Ibrox_Stadium_-_geograph.org.uk_-_763804.jpg

...the date there says 1928 that probably relates to the construction of the stand itself (opened 1929). The interesting thing about this picture is the 'BILL STRUTH MAIN STAND' plaque under the date. The Bill Struth stand was so named in 2006, the stand was refurbished and the third tier was added in 1994, I was curious as to why 1981 was put in there after 2006 it would have made more sense to put 1994 in there don't you think?

Obviously this date change happened after 2006 but I can't for the love of god find any records of this work being carried out, that's why I felt it worthwhile to ask again. :D

Thanks guy's...

...the date there says 1928 that probably relates to the construction of the stand itself (opened 1929). The interesting thing about this picture is the 'BILL STRUTH MAIN STAND' plaque under the date. The Bill Struth stand was so named in 2006, the stand was refurbished and the third tier was added in 1994, I was curious as to why 1981 was put in there after 2006 it would have made more sense to put 1994 in there don't you think?

Obviously this date change happened after 2006 but I can't for the love of god find any records of this work being carried out, that's why I felt it worthwhile to ask again. :D

Was the date of 1981 added after 2006? Was it not just added in 1981? Am I missing something?

While looking for more information I found this....

Old Villa Park (Archibald Leitch)

villa2.jpg

...the arches exactly like the Ibrox Stadium ones

trinimar.jpg

...not unlike the Ibrox stand.

trinity32.jpg

...familiar?

The sad thing about this is the whole thing was demolished in 2001. :eek: