Walter Smith: I don't have the business brain to take Rangers forward

It's sad how far we've fallen when some want to use the scum as an example...it really is.

It is indeed, but the quality of their current board of directors really does put our current board to shame. There's just no getting around it or denying it. Walter might not think he's the right man for our Chairman's job, but in all honesty, Walter's not the main problem with our board and if anything, with his contacts & knowledge of the Scottish game combined with his history at our club, Walter is probably the most suitable person to be on our board out of them all.

It's a bit unclear as to how uncomfortable he really is. Certainly the article in the OP isn't giving us much to go on because Walter would just have been answering questions and as usual, we don't get to read the questions as well, so it's quite easy to take comments out of context and read into them too much. We're left having to speculate as to what the questions were and what the context of them actually was.

I'm not speculating. I'm voicing an opinion that I don't think Walter wanted to be Chairman. That's not based on one interview. He was reluctant to even join the board and no matter who owned the club, if Walter had been offered the chairmanship under any other circumstances I think he'd have turned it down. He's taken the role on out of necessity. It makes perfect sense at this point in time.

I'm happy to have him as Chairman and I do worry about who might be chosen to replace him when the time comes.

We can be comfortable and happy with Walter in terms of him never ever doing us any intentional harm, but sadly running a football club isn't as black and white as that. The best intentions can be there and decisions made in the absolute belief they're the correct ones, but it doesn't mean they can't still be wrong for us and end up causing us harm. I don't mean to bring Martin Bain up again as I realise that story was never substantiated, but it's just a potential example.

Chairman isn't just meant to be a symbolic role, an honourary chairman title can perhaps be created for an important figure but they'll really have no involvement. I know the CEO does the day to day running but there is more business element involved in the chairman role than I think many of our fans make out. If we want to make good proper progress in the long term as a football club and business then having a football manager as chairman can only be a stop gap at most. Someone like Walter is more suited to a director of football job.

I'm rather neutral on Walter Smith as chairman as I've only ever seen it as a temporary measure mainly to try and calm some panicked fans down. But there's no way it can be for the long term.

I'm rather neutral on Walter Smith as chairman as I've only ever seen it as a temporary measure mainly to try and calm some panicked fans down.

...plus sponsors and investors who've watched in horror at the mud slinging media circus that our boardroom had devolved into under our previous CEO and chairman.

...plus sponsors and investors who've watched in horror at the mud slinging media circus that our boardroom had devolved into under our previous CEO and chairman.

Well yes but that's more related to share price than anything. I don't know if Walter's appointment has helped the share price at all.

walter probably cares more about the club than it's share price.

rightly so. people should remember we exist to put a team on the park and win things not to make money for anyone

We need sponsors and investment to win things on the park.

I don't know if Walter's appointment has helped the share price at all.

I wouldn't expect it to. I don't really care about the share price. If anything, I'd prefer to see it drop atm if it helps the club.