DJ and Mather blast SFA over rules 'nonsense'

DEREK Johnstone today launched a furious broadside over the SFA rules 'nonsense' that has triggered fury among Rangers fans.

The Ibrox legend joined the club's chief executive Craig Mather in denouncing the new body after debt-riddled Hearts were yesterday banned for signing new players for just six months for falling into administration - and spared a heavy fine.

But Rangers were hit with a year's transfer ban and a £50k punishment before they went into liquidation last year.

Boss Ally McCoist is unable to field any of his four new signings who were not registered in Scotland last season 
as trialists until September 1, while the likes of Cammy Bell and Jon Daly are banned from playing in the League Cup and the Ramsdens Cup second round.

Ibrox legend DJ blasted: "It sums up our game and our leagues when you see rules like that. I can't believe that it is allowed. You had a Hearts team a few years ago that was filled with loan players from Lithuania. How can you get away with that?

"The rules should have been made a lot simpler than they are just now.

"It is ridiculous that you can play in the first round, but not the second round of a cup, it doesn't make any sense.

"It doesn't matter where a player has come from, whether he has signed from a Scottish club or anywhere else in the world, he should be able to play as a trialist.

"To put these rules in front of them is a nonsense."

Times columnist DJ hit out after Hearts were banned from signing new players aged 21 and over until February 1 next year.

The fallen Edinburgh giants cannot sign any player at the moment because of an automatic registration embargo which kicked in when they went into administration on June 19 under what were then Scottish Premier League rules.

But Hearts, whose true debt was this week revealed to be almost £29million, have escaped a fine. Ibrox chief Mather said: "Rangers was hit with a £50,000 fine and given a 12-month registration embargo.

"While no-one at this club wishes to see others fall on hard times, questions must be asked about these anomalies and we fully understand the ranger among our fans.

"They are entitled to think there is one rule for our club and another for everyone else. We will be seeking clarification."

DJ backed that sentiment and added: "You would have thought they had set a precedent with Rangers but obviously not. It was ridiculous what they did to Rangers.

"They were struggling financially and they still fined them. I didn't get that."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/u/dj-and-mather-blast-sfa-over-rules-nonsense.1375434842

SFA Disciplinary Outcome for us in April 2012.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2566&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=9718

The Tribunal found Rangers FC guilty in respect of Rule 14 and imposed the maximum fine of £50,000 payable within 12 months

Rule 14 (g): Full membership or associate membership may be suspended or terminated, or a fine may be issued, in any of the following circumstances:-

(g) where a full member or an associate member suffers or is subject to an insolvency event.

Quite simply why weren't Dunfermline and Hearts fined similarly?

The Tribunal found Rangers FC guilty in respect of Rule 14 and imposed the maximum fine of £50,000 payable within 12 months

Rule 14 (g): Full membership or associate membership may be suspended or terminated, or a fine may be issued, in any of the following circumstances:-

(g) where a full member or an associate member suffers or is subject to an insolvency event.

This MAY be their excuse?

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has added his voice to calls for clarification from the Scottish Football Association after Hearts escaped a fine for going into administration.

The Jambos learned yesterday they had been spared financial punishment for suffering an insolvency event but were banned from registering players between now and February.

Rangers were hit with a fine and a one-year transfer ban after calling in the administrators in February 2012 before being consigned to liquidation.

Light Blues chief executive Craig Mather last night demanded answers from the SFA over the differing sanctions.

Speaking today ahead of tomorrow's Scottish League Cup tie at Forfar, McCoist said: "I would echo Craig's statement which is effectively looking for clarification on the issue.

"I will be honest with you, I don't really know the full situation. I know we were fined £50,000 and I think that was for going into administration.

"If that's the case, you would find it strange that it hasn't happened to other clubs.

"I don't want that - far from it. I would rather we had never been fined £50,000 the same as the rest of the clubs.

"I would wait to hear what the governing body had to say about it because I would have to say, from our point of view, and the supporters' point of view, it needs to be clarified."

Simple question ... if a Bentley driver is caught speeding (20 mph too fast), will he get the same fine as a Ford driver caught speeding for the same amount? Whether or not the Ford driver has just been divorced for the third time and all his ex's hunt him rightfully down for money?

Maybe it's just me, but I think it was predictable that Hearts & Dunfermline would be treated differently from us. If Hearts were to have their CVA rejected and enter into a newco deal, I won't be holding my breath for them to be voted out of the premier league and forced to start in the bottom tier.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it was predictable that Hearts & Dunfermline would be treated differently from us. If Hearts were to have their CVA rejected and enter into a newco deal, I won't be holding my breath for them to be voted out of the premier league and forced to start in the bottom tier.

That is no longer "a problem". We ended up in the fourth tier because of the double-league system Scotland had at that time.* There was a reason why the SPL teams pushed so hard for the restructuring, and it was not only about the SPL as a business was essentially insilvent and facing huge bills. That said, I am not even sure if the rules about what happens with a team in administration have yet been written?

*Hence, it is also untrue to say that we were demoted or relegated or whatnot. We applied for membership in a different football body and started where every newcomer would start. Hearts will not be newcomers, rest assured.

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has echoed the comments of chief executive Craig Mather about the punishment meted out to different clubs for suffering insolvency events, saying he finds it hard to understand why his own club were fined £50,000 while Hearts and Dunfermline were given different sanctions.

McCoist insisted he had no wish for either the Edinburgh or Fife club to have financial penalties imposed on them, but said he could understand why many Rangers supporters felt their team had been dealt with unjustly.

“I don’t understand it,” he said yesterday. “Am I missing something? Are we the only ones who have been fined £50,000? If that’s the case then it does seem a little bit strange. So maybe we’ll get a cheque back from the SFA for £50,000 in the next couple of weeks. I would echo Craig’s views and look for an explanation. We’ve said all along, all we asked is to be treated fairly and the same as everybody else.

“A lot of the fans have felt very hard done by and felt that their club has been singled out. I’m very hopeful that’s not the case. Craig has asked for an explanation, so we’ll see what that is. I don’t want to see anybody fined. Far from it. Fining them for the sole purpose of not having any money defeats the object. But we are where we are. I’m gutted for them [Dunfermline and Hearts], honestly. I know what’s it like – we’ve been through it. I know what the staff and the supporters are going through. It’s terrible, it really is.”

Having been forced to deal with such issues for much of his time as manager, McCoist is looking forward to the start of next month, when he will have all his current squad available for the first time following the end of the signing restrictions imposed on Rangers. In some games so far he has been able to field two new players as trialists – Jon Daly and Nicky Law were thus designated in Sunday’s 4-0 Ramsdens Challenge Cup win over Albion Rovers – but in today’s League Cup match at Forfar he is not allowed any.

That means no place in the team for Nicky Clark, Cammy Bell or any of the other summer signings, and although it hardly leaves McCoist bereft of talent, he expects it will mean Rangers will face a severe challenge. “This is going to be the most testing game for us without doubt,” he said. “This is going to be a proper game because of where we are. It’s far from ideal, but we know what we’ve got to do. We know what we’ve got to pick from. The team will be nothing like the team that played at Dundee or at Albion Rovers. We’ve had them watched a couple of times and it’ll be tough. They’ve a new 3G surface – I always thought the surface was good, but they’ve changed it and apparently it’s all right.

“We must look at it as a chance for the guys who come in. They must make an impact and prove they can stay in the team. If they’re doing a job and they’re in the team they’ll stay in the team – that’s only fair. The guys who are coming in will know what’s required. If they come in and do well, they’ll stay there. It’s a real chance for them.”

Scott Gallacher will remain in goal today, but ideally McCoist would like to make a new signing in that position and send the 24-year-old out on loan. “We’re probably still of an opinion that in an ideal world we’d get him out on loan and get another goalkeeper in,” said McCoist. “Like most managers, I’d still like to get a forward and a defender in, if I could.

“We’ve had two [trialists] in just now – [Mamady] Sidibe and [Hameur] Bouazza. They’ve been great. I’ll see how they are with everything, but there’s no immediate rush with that since we can’t sign or play them anyway.”

Boris Pandza is closer to signing, according to McCoist, who added that at present only two players – Kal Naismith and Anestis Argyriou – have been told they can leave.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/rangers-fury-at-double-standards-1-3028580