Ally:Pay axe will not fall on stars

ALLY McCoist today insisted cost-cutting measures at Rangers will not have any impact on his first-team squad.

Gers chief executive Craig Mather this week confirmed the Ibrox club was actively trying to reduce wages and drive down outgoings.

Those ongoing measures could include prominent employees - including manager McCoist - having their salaries slashed.

But the Light Blues boss has assured fans this process will not result in any players being offloaded by the SPFL League One side.

The Third Division champions have brought in eight free agents during the summer and have started the 2013/14 campaign well.

McCoist said: "I haven't been told it will impact on my squad. The wages have obviously come down dramatically in the last two years.

"People will argue they are still high for where we are. But I would argue that 36,000 season ticket holders deserve to see the best football we can give them.

"We have brought in eight free transfers and seven or eight have gone the other way.

"It is my job to get the best team out on the park that I possibly can within a sensible budget. I haven't been told any of my squad are under threat."

Meanwhile, McCoist has revealed he is "very hopeful" he can arrange a loan deal for Rangers goalkeeper Scott Gallacher.

Gallacher has done well in his appearances for the Gers this season and has kept clean sheets in the wins over Stranraer and Airdrie.

But Cammy Bell is set to come into the starting line-up against East Fife at Ibrox today and will feature from now on.

McCoist is keen for Gallacher to get first-

team experience and will hand experienced England stopper Steven Simonsen a deal if he goes on loan.

He said: "We are a little bit closer to Scott going out on loan. I am very hopeful something can be arranged in the next 24 hours.

"We are desperately keen to offer Simonsen something as soon as we get Scott organised. We have had one or two enquiries for our other lads and these will be taken further in the next 24 hours."

McCoist has admitted he is keen to bring in a defender and a striker and confirmed a deal to bring out-of-contract Bosnian centre half Boris Pandza is still a possibility. He also confirmed he is keen to hand former Republic of Ireland youth internationalist Sam Kelly a contract.

Meanwhile, McCoist admits he will be unable to bring in Kenny Miller until January as the former Scotland striker has signed a one-year extension with Vancouver Whitecaps. He said: "Kenny is not a player we could get just now. But he has stated that he would like to come back."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/allypay-axe-will-not-fall-on-stars-134966n.22022968