The problem as I saw it in the later years, with hindsight, is that he felt the players he had beside him weren't of his standard so he tried to drag them up to his level but, in so doing, actually pulled himself somewhat down to theirs. what I am getting at is that in trying to do everyone else's job for them because they weren't "Rangers class" he ultimately forgot to just do his own job, which he was exceptional at.

That's a hell of a couple of sentences to follow given my alcohol intake tonight :D.

I don't understand why he didn't shine in his second spell with us because he showed with an utter dog shit Birmingham team that he was a top player. I don;t follow championship football at all but I'm sure I've heard he's still putting in impressive performances.

Guest Night Owl
I don't think Black should be mentioned in a thread about Ferguson and I view them about as closely related as Andreas Iniesta and Stevie Fulton.

In the same sense Ser, Ferguson's name shouldn't be anywhere near Xavi , although I know what you mean.

Hemdani was a player I rated who had as good a passing ability as Ive seen at Ibrox.

Hemdani was all Business, I think he didn't get a lot of recognition in the same way Papac was often over looked as a Ger, simply because he was a quiet man who went about getting the job done, and didn't run around kissing the badge and acting the part like many players have done in the past. Hemdani was a cracking player, I think the fact he was saved for European matches was testament to his ability.

The problem as I saw it in the later years, with hindsight, is that he felt the players he had beside him weren't of his standard so he tried to drag them up to his level but, in so doing, actually pulled himself somewhat down to theirs. what I am getting at is that in trying to do everyone else's job for them because they weren't "Rangers class" he ultimately forgot to just do his own job, which he was exceptional at.

^ That right there was why I asked if Ferguson would shine in League 1 or Div 3 last year, because for all his passion for Rangers and his ability, Ferguson's worst enemy was Ferguson himself.

I just want to stress I'm not having ago at Barry I'm simply putting forward the things I seen and the impressions I got. Ferguson has nothing to prove to any Rangers fan.

Ps,

@ Ser,

I seen that 18 goals a season stat, and I agree thats class for a midfielder such as Barry, but it was only the spl, he should have kept that up and then took it down south with him.

Anyways fascinating discussion.

I can't get my head around people rating Hemdani and not Fergie. Hemdani was the "back pass" or "side pass" player everyone accused Fergie of being. Hemdani was a decent enough player with good ball retention but that was because 99% of his passes were the easy, short 5 yard ball to a team mate when under no pressure.

Fergie was a class above anything we've had in midfield since the Advcaat era. I don't think the Advocaat players made him look good. He was an equal in that company and often stood out among them.

I can't get my head around people rating Hemdani and not Fergie. Hemdani was the "back pass" or "side pass" player everyone accused Fergie of being. Hemdani was a decent enough player with good ball retention but that was because 99% of his passes were the easy, short 5 yard ball to a team mate when under no pressure.

Fergie was a class above anything we've had in midfield since the Advcaat era. I don't think the Advocaat players made him look good. He was an equal in that company and often stood out among them.

I don't think anyone has said they rated Hemdani more than Ferguson or rated Hemdani and not Ferguson.

I think the point some of us are saying we admire how Hemdani went about his game and just did the job in hand while Ferguson tried to take over. That's more about Barry the person than the player. Personally I think the 2 of them together should have been a midfield partnership that was remembered much more.

Edited by Gribz