Le Gaffer..blame me, not the players.

Well i hope he means this statement is isnt just covering up to please the fans.

What i really think Le Guen needs to do is show more urgency along with discipline i.e. have a wee rant and rave and get a reaction from the players. I get the impression he is happy to put the team out with a game plan and hope it comes off! But thats not working.

And today Kris Boyd has come out and said the players must shoulder the blame amongst other things.

And he stressed the blame for the club's wretched domestic campaign lies squarely with the flops who are failing to produce for their manager on the field.

Boyd said: "He picks the team and tells us what he expects us to do. There is no communication problem.

"We go out on to the park knowing what is expected of us and we are the ones who are letting the manager down, the fans down and the club down.

"Yes, it was nice to be back," he said afterwards as he slumped in a chair inside the media room. But it was a half-hearted remark from a player who appeared to be experiencing some kind of inner turmoil before our eyes.

"But once again it was just not good enough," Boyd added without pausing as he launched into a scathing assessment of his team. "We should be beating sides like St Mirren at Ibrox.

"It's even harder to accept when you see Celtic slipping up. Every time they drop points we seem to do the same. It's not good enough.

"We created chances against St Mirren but didn't take them. That's down to the players at the end of the day."

Boyd heaved a huge sigh and dipped his head towards his shoes. At that very pain was almost palpable. Indeed, from the outside at least, some seem to hurt a little more than others inside Le Guen's dressing room these days.

While the manager stumbles around in a permanent state of bewilderment some of his players appear not to have a grasp on what all the fuss is about.

Not Boyd though. He is embarrassed and ashamed to be a part of this debacle and is burning up with a desire to put things right.

"Everybody is hurting. Some people just show it in different ways," Boyd insisted although without being entirely convincing.

"We need to pick ourselves up and go again against Motherwell. That's not going to be easy either after the result they got against Celtic at the weekend.

They will make it difficult for us too."

Right now Rangers are reeling from one crisis to the next. It is not what Boyd envisaged just 12 months ago. He said: "I came here because I wanted to win stuff so it's not what I expected so far.

"But when the time comes that we are winning trophies maybe this will help us enjoy it even more."

He's probably right. What does not kill you can only make you stronger and it is possible that Rangers will recover and return as a credible force.

It's just that, right now, that day looks a long way off. Boyd said: "The table doesn't lie. We are where we deserve to be.

"To keep dropping points the way we are is obviously not good enough for a club of this size. When you play for a club with history like this one has we need to be doing better as players."

Boyd is adamant it is the players who are under-performing which is both fair and honest but also more than a little charitable to a manager who promised great things but who, thus far, has delivered only mistakes.

Le Guen is under serious pressure now to prove his worth which will be difficult given the state of his team and the paucity of quality at his disposal.

But Boyd remains sure that - even now - Rangers have more than enough talent to beat the likes of St Mirren no matter who is in charge.

He said: "The manager is quite right to be angry. He has put a team out there which should be good enough to go and win most games. But we have not done it.

"I don't think it was through lack of trying. We created chances but we were just unfortunate in front of goal.

"He picks the team but at the end of the day it's down to the players when we go on the park. We have to go out there and do our best.

"The manager picks the best team he can but once we've crossed that white line there's nothing more he can do. It's down to us to make a difference.

"It's even more frustrating when we go out and beat the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen who are up there challenging at the top of the table.

"That's what is probably just keeping us above the likes of Hibs at the moment. We are able to beat them but then we go and drop silly points to the likes of St Mirren, Dundee United and Inverness. It's obviously not good enough."

Time and time again Rangers have failed to deliver since Le Guen took control.

He inherited what was arguably one of the worst sides in the club's history but has not managed to improve it. In fact, if anything Rangers have deteriorated still further.

On Saturday they left the scene of their latest criminal capitulation to the sound of their own fans' jeers.

And that sound cut through Boyd like a knife to the heart.

He said: "It's frustrating to hear the fans boo us off the park but they pay their money and they are entitled to do whatever they want.

"We have not been good enough and that's why they are angry.

"They are used to watching a winning team and we are not doing that for them at the moment."