Albion Rovers trialled a 'Pay what you can' initiative this week and it looks like it was a success. Hopefully more Scottish clubs will take notice and try innovative ways to improve attendances.

http://albionroversfc.com/?p=4368

The club is delighted to announce that we will be trialling a new “Pay What You Can” initiative at the home match V Montrose on Saturday 11th January 2014.

January is always a time where household budgets are stretched and the club recognises that some supporters may struggle to find spare cash to attend games at this time.

“Pay What You Can” provides fans with the opportunity to simply pay what they can afford with a minimum £1 entry.

We hope that with this pricing initiative supporters who would maybe struggle to afford to attend the game will now be able to do so.

And, those who are in a position to pay a bit more to bolster the club finances will choose to do so.

Hopefully we may be able to see some new faces inside Cliftonhill and maybe welcome back some more familiar faces too.

“Pay What You Can” will be open to all fans including away supporters.

http://albionroversfc.com/?p=4383

Once again thank you so much to everyone who attended yesterday’s match, we hope to see you again some time soon. FYI Crowd increase of 125%. Gate receipt increase of 160%. Cafe/shop/add-ons increase of 165% compared with the last home game against Montrose FC in August 2013. Follow us on twitter and Facebook for more fans initiatives. @albionrovers.

I doubt a similar idea could work at Ibrox but I'd like to see them experiment with lower prices in unpopular parts of the ground.

I know the Albion Rovers board fairly well due to work commitments. They're a great bunch and it's good to see them doing fairly well. There was talk of them moving to a new stadium but decided against it. No doubting that Cliftonhill is a dump but they're making it work. They were all gutted about missing out on playing Rangers 4 times this season.

I know the Albion Rovers board fairly well due to work commitments. They're a great bunch and it's good to see them doing fairly well. There was talk of them moving to a new stadium but decided against it. No doubting that Cliftonhill is a dump but they're making it work. They were all gutted about missing out on playing Rangers 4 times this season.

I didn't know about any proposed move away from Cliftonhill but I hope that they persevere. I've not been there but it does look like a bit of a dump.

I'd be interested to know what any proposed move away would achieve. It seems to me that teams in the lower divisions have fairly simple requirements.

Somebody in that organization should get a pat on the back. That is excellent initiative.

Yes. There is no end to the silly ideas that people come up with to improve Scottish football but this is a good one.

Prices don't necessarily need to be lower but I would like to see teams experiment more than they do.

I didn't know about any proposed move away from Cliftonhill but I hope that they persevere. I've not been there but it does look like a bit of a dump.

I'd be interested to know what any proposed move away would achieve. It seems to me that teams in the lower divisions have fairly simple requirements.

Do you know the Coatbridge area at all? The were looking at a site at Kirkwood Sports Barn which lies close to the M8 and Bargeddie. They were also looking at staying at Cliftonhill and turning the pitch round 90 degrees. I can't remember the reason for that but it was knocked on its head fairly quick.

On a sidenote, it's interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes at a club on matchday. Yes, they're only a small club but I'd imagine the basics are the same for all clubs no matter what division they're in.