Ex-Rangers star Alex Rae: Motormouth Charles Green was only at Ibrox...

.......for his own good but Graham Wallace will sort club out

6 Feb 2014 07:37

RAE says he is still raging at the antics of Charles Green during his short term in charge at Ibrox claiming he was all about soundbites but with no substance.

ALEX RAE could see right through Charles Green’s bluff and bluster from day one at Rangers.

But the Ibrox stalwart reckons Graham Wallace’s silence speaks volumes for his ability to do the job as chief executive.

From joining in at Brechin when fans chanted “if you hate Stewart Regan, clap your hands” to the numerous outlandish statements, Rae knew Green wasn’t the man for his club.

And it still riles the former Light Blues title winner there is talk of his old club being on the brink again financially while the outspoken Yorkshireman lives it up in his French chateau.

Rae isn’t surprised – just gutted his suspicion about Green turned out to be right. And like so many other Gers fans he’s now pinning his hopes on the former Manchester City chief operating officer to sort out the mess.

Lifelong fan Rae – recently axed as Blackpool’s assistant boss – said of the current cash situation: “I’ve been alarmed for a while.

“Even going back to the early days of Green, it never really sat right with me. You could see it coming. There were good soundbites but never any direction.

“There was no plan in place and unfortunately he’s walked away with a fortune.

“I’m a member of Sandyhills golf club and I used to play with my mates in the medal.

“My best mate is a Celtic man and he used to get me about the third or fourth hole when he told me they were going to put statues up for Green.

“My head would go. I used to post terrible scores because I would start arguing with him on the course and he was just loving it. It’s been a shambles. There is no legacy.

“There is no doubt he was in it for himself. I didn’t buy into all the soundbites and rubbish he came out with.

“The future looks much better as Wallace has come in and seems to have taken a step back. Previous chief executives made wild statements they never backed up.

“The fact this guy is silent and taking stock of the operation bodes well for us. He seems to have a plan and this is something that’s been lacking since Martin Bain’s days.

“There was a period where we didn’t even have a chief executive. You look at all the departments within Ibrox, there was no guidance, no direction and everyone was on their own.

“But Wallace has come in and started to direct things right down to the management and hopefully the club will prosper.

“Wallace seems to know where he wants to go. It might only be a case of assessing in the short term and then implementing things for the betterment of the company.

“I wouldn’t like to see him going. There are elements of the board some people aren’t quite sure of and that’s worrying but if Wallace tells the fans what’s happening they will be inclined to follow him.”

Rae likes the way Wallace quietly conducts his business as he bids to bring much-needed stability to Ibrox – in sharp contrast to Green.

His attention-seeking antics started in Gers’ first game following liquidation at Glebe Park when he applauded as the fans chanted against SFA supremo Regan.

Rae said: “I remember Green’s behaviour just a couple of days after Rangers got their membership. I couldn’t believe what he was doing.

“I consider Rangers to have been class throughout my time and he wasn’t someone I thought to be flying the flag for Rangers or representing the club in the manner that role demands.

“Even prior to that I could see things. I just thought it was a case of doing what had to be done but there was no conviction there.

“It was a mad ego trip for him. He was great for the media.

“You heard stories about money going out left, right and centre and pay-offs for guys who were there five minutes.

“A couple of weeks ago I saw another guy from Zeus Capital pocket around £500,000 when he sold his shares.

“One thing about football fans is they want to believe in the people in charge. They want to believe they are going to take the club forward. Unfortunately, this guy has duped everyone.”

The turmoil off the park has left boss Ally McCoist working under tough circumstances in his first managerial job.

And Rae said: “The dynamic Ally has had to work within has been a nightmare compared to every other manager.

“Last year they couldn’t have any pre-season friendlies and there was a transfer embargo. It’s been pretty poor. It’s probably been more than a year now since they had a chief scout. For an organisation such as Rangers, that baffles me.

“If you’re trying to put things in place you need a chief scout to oversee a network and find the right targets. Infrastructures needs to be restored to the level Rangers are used to.”

Despite all this Rae believes his old club are strong enough to mount a Scottish Cup

challenge this season with Dunfermline standing between them and the last eight tomorrow night.

He said: “Rangers have as good a chance as anyone of winning the Scottish Cup.

“They beat Motherwell last season and are a lot stronger now. I watched them at the weekend and they had Dean Shiels and Jon Daly who, less than 18 months ago, were up for Scotland’s Player of the Year.

“In terms of firepower the pair of them could hurt anyone. They’re littered with top flight-standard players so could turn anyone over on any given day.”

And Rae would love to see the Old Firm paired together before the tournament ends in May.

The former hardman midfielder said: “I’m missing it like everyone else. Celtic will be favourites – but cups always have major upsets.”

Rather fails to address the fact that the same people who have always ran us still are.

All that's changed are the front men.

It is possible Wallace will sort us out. I suspect he will really want to. I have my doubts he will be allowed to. We already have a board refusing investment because it would be good for rangers but not them.