Negatives To Positives (Andrew Dickson writes about Super Ally)

Friday, 14 February 2014 12:15

Negatives To Positives

Written by Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST could never have predicted the last two years going the way they have for Rangers and is hopeful positives will now start outweighing negatives at the club.

The manager learned the afternoon before Valentine’s Day in 2012 that then owner Craig Whyte had filed to take the club’s holding company into administration.

It wasn’t long before that became public knowledge and within 24 hours that process had been completed due to the club’s financial problems at that stage.

What has followed since has been difficult for the Light Blues and its loyal support at times but the feeling is Gers are making progress again.

Chief executive Graham Wallace is currently conducting a 120-day review of the whole business as he tries to shape a solid, structured plan for the future.

That’s a work in progress, as is the evolution of McCoist’s team which, as it stands today, is going for a unique treble of trophies in the final weeks of the season.

The Ibrox boss was in reflective mood this morning as he looked back at the club’s recovery since that dark day two Februarys ago.

Amidst all the low points, there are more highs emerging as time goes on and that gives McCoist hope.

He said: “It has been two years nobody would ever have predicted for the football club. They’ve been two really dark, bleak years.

“There have obviously been positives but it goes without saying the negatives far outweigh the positives.

“We had administration and liquidation but there are definitely positives for everybody at the club and the fans to look forward to now.

“After winning the title by a great number of points last year, we’re in a fantastic position to do that again this year.

“We’ve a Ramsdens Cup final and a home quarter-final in the Scottish Cup as well so there are positives to come out of a bleak two years.

“You’re scared to look too far ahead other than a few days and towards the next couple of games and the like.

“But I’ve always followed the philosophy that what will be will be. We will always attempt to do our best and hopefully that will be good enough to get us back to where we want to be.

“Like the rest of the staff, we’ve got jobs to do and we’re very, very determined to do it. If we all work together, we’ll have a far better chance of getting us back to the top flight.”

Despite staunch denials a second administration could be on the cards, some ill-informed sources from outwith the club wrongly persist with claiming that’s the case.

Such suggestions bemuse McCoist, who is certain no such path will be taken. He added: “I speak to Graham on a regular basis and I’m meeting him again this afternoon.

“I think he’d say to me if the money was going to run out but I’ve had no indication of that from him.

“I’m aware of the financial difficulties and the position we are in at the moment but I’ve not been told anything like that.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6321-negatives-to-positives

I can't be the only one who sees zero merit in this succession of ultra-lightweight McCoist puff-pieces from Dickson.

In the last week, we've had Dicko assuring us that Ally is about to give youth its chance, followed one week later with a solemn reminder that this is a time for experienced heads.

Say something interesting or better still say nothing at all, DIcko.

As much as writing for the club would be the ultimate dream job for me, by crikey we're a hard bunch to please.

What is it you lot would have preferred to read on this hideous anniversary? Another gut-wrenching recapitulation of stuff we all know by (broken) heart already? More hagiographic praise for the Politburo?

Hidden away in that piece is the gem

Such suggestions bemuse McCoist, who is certain no such path will be taken. He added: “I speak to Graham on a regular basis and I’m meeting him again this afternoon.

“I think he’d say to me if the money was going to run out but I’ve had no indication of that from him.

which rather puts our CE on the spot; if all goes well, no problem, if we do run into bother he stands revealed as bullshitting the manager. Employees of the club have great access to the players, but they can hardly wade in and throw around accusations. The writer of this piece has done a nifty bit of dancing on eggshells, I reckon.