Thursday, 17 April 2014 12:30

A Chance To Make History

Written by Andrew Dickson

bcfc3676f0df18cfebf6b176c1763784_XL.jpg

NICKY LAW says the chance to be part of the first unbeaten Rangers team in a league campaign for 115 years is driving him on in the last few fixtures of the season.

With four matches left in the 36-game campaign, Gers have still only dropped four points in two draws at Ibrox with Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

That means they could break the 100 points barrier before the month is out and they’re also now just four away from a century of goals as well after Tuesday’s 3-0 win over Forfar.

The chance to emulate the invincible Light Blues side of 1898/99 is something which also appeals to Law.

Back then, the team won each and every one of its league matches under William Wilton as it won the title by 10 points from Hearts.

With only two points available for a win back then and just 18 games per team in the competition, that was a massive winning margin.

Law said: “You’d have to say Rangers have made good progress this season and hopefully we can stay unbeaten in the league now.

“You would like to think that might make up for our cup losses a little and it would be a disappointment now to lose a league game.

“Having gone 32 matches unbeaten so far, it’s good we’ve still got that target to aim for with four games to go.

“Your season can sometimes die out but we’ve got that carrot and it would be fantastic to do that.

“I read the last time team went unbeaten in the league was in 1899 but that was over 18 games and to do it over 36 would be a little bit of history for the boys to enjoy.

“In five or six years, people would maybe look back and say we weren’t as bad as they thought.”

PFA Scotland League Player of the Year prize nominee Law, meanwhile, admits he’d love to see manager Ally McCoist bring in new faces during the summer break.

The Gers boss is keen to freshen up his squad and his English midfielder believes that would be good for everyone if he did that.

Law added: “Of course we’d like to see them, yeah. I think at a club like this, you expect that players are going to be coming in and competing for your position.

“I know the manager has spoken of his desire to do that. Whether he is able to or not, nobody knows at the minute.

“I think for us as a squad, to get people in to help us next year is the most important thing. It will be healthy for us to have competition.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6789-a-chance-to-make-history

Yeah competition is really fierce, we have had to work so so hard to make this possible. No, i don't believe it either. Young Nicky would be best served keeping his mouth shut given his last interview.

And as for competition for places. Don't make me laugh. That is just insulting.

Look, I am a Rangers obsessive to an unhealthy degree, one of which items I should be studying for rather than posting on here.

And yes, not losing at all in the league is an achievement. But ffs lets not try and make out it's anything special - it's hardly Arsene's Invincibles all over again.

In five or six years, people would maybe look back and say we weren’t as bad as they thought.”

If he makes that 30 years, so that dementia has a chance to do to me what it has done to so many of my family, that might be accurate. Not until then, though.

In five or six years, people would maybe look back and say we weren’t as bad as they thought.”

If he makes that 30 years, so that dementia has a chance to do to me what it has done to so many of my family, that might be accurate. Not until then, though.

That line stood out like a sore thumb. In 5 or 6 years I think most fans will probably not want to look back to this season at all.

Hopefully the whole article isn't yet another massive jinx. They'd be better talking about the achievements after they've actually been achieved.