If anyone was under any illusion as to how far the club's stock had fallen, the level of opposition that can be attracted acts as a stark reminder.

Slightly harsh - we often go abroad to play lower league teams to gain fitness. I still expect at least one game at Ibrox and one game down South to be announced.

Slightly harsh - we often go abroad to play lower league teams to gain fitness. I still expect at least one game at Ibrox and one game down South to be announced.

I would be most interested to hear the merits of flying half way around the world to play sides which are, at best, Conference North/South level when similar opposition is available in the UK and on mainland Europe.

If anyone was under any illusion as to how far the club's stock had fallen, the level of opposition that can be attracted acts as a stark reminder.

I think that it's probably more damaging at a commercial level. I think the bigger reputable firms will think twice before getting involved with us because of all that has and is going on. That includes the level of uncertainty.

To a degree we are currently 'damaged goods'.

I think that it's probably more damaging at a commercial level. I think the bigger reputable firms will think twice before getting involved with us because of all that has and is going on. That includes the level of uncertainty.

To a degree we are currently 'damaged goods'.

A North American tour is all about the commercial side of things. The sides we are playing will be largely unknown even within their own cities, so it is difficult to envisage where any financial benefits will come from. The North American sports fan is brought up watching victorious teams being crowned 'world champions' despite it being domestic competition. They are used to watching the best there is and have little time for also rans.

Edited by Rangersitis

A North American tour is all about the commercial side of things. The sides we are playing will be largely unknown even within their own cities, so it is difficult to envisage where any financial benefits will come from? The North American sports fan is brought up watching victorious teams being crowned 'world champions' despite it being domestic competition. They are used to watching the best there is and have little time for also rans.

Yes, the two issues do go hand in hand with the Nth.American tour being an example of this.

Some other commercial contracts/discussions may reflect the more intangible 'brand' damage we have and are suffering.

Barca72

I agree with you about the tournament. But there again, I get to see the Mighty Glasgow Rangers this year, the first game for my wee bride since the Scottish Cup final in 1973, the Tom Forsyth goal; so I have to be thankful for small mercies !!

IIRC back in those days we often went up to the Highlands for a couple of pre-season friendlies.

How things have changed with that Inverness side of back then.

Did we not go over to Norway a couple of times to play Viking Stavanger (sp) ?

IIRC back in those days we often went up to the Highlands for a couple of pre-season friendlies.

How things have changed with that Inverness side of back then.

Did we not go over to Norway a couple of times to play Viking Stavanger (sp) ?

Certainly played them in the mid-seventies.

He said that it would be announced in the next few days. When I told him that our NARSA club might run a bus to the game ( that`s an eleven hour drive ), he said what the hell and took my email addr. to let me know the block-booking details. Everybody wants to make sure they don`t miss out on the bucks !!!

Well done barca and thanks for the info!

Certainly played them in the mid-seventies.

Whilst you refer to the Norwegies, didn't our pre-season games against the Highland League sides back then result in Rangers signing the Inverness striker, Billy Urquhart ?

I would be most interested to hear the merits of flying half way around the world to play sides which are, at best, Conference North/South level when similar opposition is available in the UK and on mainland Europe.

There could be all sorts of elements involved in the reasoning.

Firstly, NARSA clubs and their members are big supporters of the Club financially, even from such great distances, which is bound to be one of the reasons why there's always a good presence by the Club officially at the yearly NARSA conferences. So, while it's stating the obvious, a North American pre-season tour - even against small teams - does give our fans over there the opportunity to watch Rangers.

Secondly, making some friends and contacts with Clubs and their staff (including scouts?) over there in America and Canada is no bad thing. The fact that they're small clubs playing in the lower tiers doesn't mean something beneficial can't come of the relationships in the long run.

Thirdly, we don't know what all will be on the agenda. We could potentially be looking for youth/development system partnerships, a full time scout over there or any number of things.

Fourthly, there's some of the best golf courses in the world over there! :coolio: