his name was pronounced....Dee StefAno...as far as I can remember......we played them at the time but maybe it was Santa Maria up tops

Correct on the pronunciation and wonderful to see Baxter controlling the game v Real Madrid although we lost 1-0 and got gubbed 6-0 away.

di Stefano was at no.9/CF in both matches http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=1963/matches/round=930/match=61947/postmatch/lineups/index.html

his name was pronounced....Dee StefAno...as far as I can remember......we played them at the time but maybe it was Santa Maria up tops

Aye wonderful player Di Stefano.

That was some game, as good as I ever saw Rangers play. Jim Forrest another good centre forward.

Aye wonderful player Di Stefano.

That was some game, as good as I ever saw Rangers play. Jim Forrest another good centre forward.

Not quite in the same league but a huge goalscorer in total scoring 145 goals in his 163 games for Rangers, his 50th goal for the club coming in his 45th appearance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Forrest_(footballer_born_1944).

I'm pretty sure he scored 5 or 6 in a 7-1 Rangers at Hamilton win that I was at in 1966.

Wrongly made one of the scapegoats for Berwick (along with George McLean) and never played for us again.

It was around that time, could have been just after the Real game. I was at Cathkin, one and only time, and we beat Third Lanark 5-0 with Forrest scoring 4.

Di Stefano was one of the first centre forwards to play the ' deep lying role' as it was called. He also had some superb players around him of course.

The first deep lying cf was Hidegkuti alongside Puskas for Honved early 50s. Don Revie took it up very successfully for Manchester City. Can't think of any Scots. Alec Young of the Hearts?

The first deep lying cf was Hidegkuti alongside Puskas for Honved early 50s. Don Revie took it up very successfully for Manchester City. Can't think of any Scots. Alec Young of the Hearts?

Perhaps no coincidence then that Di Stefano played the same role beside Puskas for Real.

Jimmy MIllar for us maybe, as he started out as a half back and finished his career playing deeper. Ralph Brand was always the main striker in modern parlance.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Very good point, BH, especially what you say about Ralphie but on reflection I think M&B were the first twin striker pair with Millar slightly back but not so far back as to be deep lying in the Revie style.

Very good point, BH, especially what you say about Ralphie but on reflection I think M&B were the first twin striker pair with Millar slightly back but not so far back as to be deep lying in the Revie style.

True.

It was around that time that effctively we began playing 4-2-4 with McMillan (later Andy Penman) and Baxter in what began to be called the midfield.