Having spent six and a half years pursuing a litigation claim I am aware how they work and play out.

The administrators pursued a claim for £25m not £100m that is an indisputable fact, BDO maintained that claim at £25m. Given the similarity of the amount claimed and the reputed settlement it would appear Collyer Bristow's insurers knew they were on a hiding to nothing. Personally my guess was it would be settled on the steps of the court for £10-15m.

There may well have been a settlement regardless and for all we know it may well have been a lot less had Paul Murray not attempted a re-capitalisation. However it is clear from the reports in The Lawyer that the conspiracy to deny RFC plc the re-capitalisation was where the administrators, liquidators and there respective legal teams thought they would receive most joy.

It is complete speculation as to whether the settlement would have been different in the absence of PM's alternative. That is all I was saying.