Keeping It Simple - Bilel Mohsni

Friday, 26 September 2014 10:00

Keeping It Simple

Written by Andrew Dickson

ed1ab3ac1fc1fa8e3494f8929a4d7fc0_XL.jpg

BILEL MOHSNI admits he’s going against his natural instincts as he tries to eradicate mistakes from his game by keeping things simple for Rangers.

The Tunisian defender has been in mixed form lately, turning in strong defensive performances most of the time but making occasional mistakes too.

One such error almost gifted Inverness an opening goal in a League Cup tie last week but the 27-year-old got away with it as they missed their chance to score.

While such lapses are more memorable, it’s fair to argue Mohsni has done well more often than not.

What’s notable is he has stopped trying to come forward past opposition player so often and he has done that at the request of Ally McCoist.

The international stopper admits his manager prefers him to stay back and do what his task is in the first instance, defending and protecting his side’s goal.

Mohsni said: “In the Inverness game, I made a big mistake and I was very lucky they didn’t score.

“I would not say it was a lack of concentration which caused that to happen because I was concentrating the whole game.

“It was more down to talking and we need more of that than we had then. Everyone needs to talk to each other.

“Maybe I need to concentrate more too. The mistakes I made earlier in the season were maybe down to that and a lack of match fitness too.

“I feel more comfortable and fit now but I know I need to keep working on my concentration to stay focused on the game.

“I’m trying to give 100 per cent there and not make any mistakes. The manager wants me to be solid.

“I know I can pass and dribble and I like doing that but I also realise you can make a little mistake when you do that and lose the ball.

“The manager has said he needs me to be solid and to defend. That is a little bit frustrating for me but I am doing that.

“I know the fans maybe don’t like it if they see me kick the ball out of the pitch but I don’t want to upset the manager or my team-mates and I am working hard on doing simple things.

“I know if I get caught out it will be more dangerous than it was before last season so I prefer staying at the back and trying to be solid with the centre-backs.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7741-keeping-it-simple