Andy's Ready For Impact

Andy's Ready For Impact

Written by Rangers Football Club

KENNY MCDOWALL gave midfielder Andy Murdoch his first competitive start against Hibs on Friday and he was impressed with what he saw from the youngster.

Murdoch has been training with the first team for some time and travelled with the squad on preseason tours of the north of Scotland and North America. He also has experience of playing at Ibrox for the Gers youth sides and when he played and scored against Linfield in a friendly.

McDowall kept a keen eye on Murdoch's progress this season as he played in games against Buckie and Brora in Scotland and as a substitute in North America and then regularly as he captained the under-20 side.

The midfielder was a second half substitute in the match against Raith Rovers at Ibrox and was then rewarded with a start against Hibs last Friday. McDowall spoke to RangersTV this week and gave his thoughts on how the youngster did on his debut. He said, "Andy has come in and he has impressed.

"He is a player who has been training with the first team for over a year, so it's time for him to make an impact. He's come into the team and done fantastically well the other night, so hopefully he can go on from there."

"Ian and I speak regularly and we talk to the youth department too. Gordon (Durie) and I make sure that we keep up to date with how everyone is doing."

It isn't just Murdoch who McDowall has been impressed by this season, with others from the youth ranks doing well both out on development loans and whilst playing with the under-20s.

McDowall continued, "We have Tom Walsh and Calum Gallagher who have been in and training with us recently. Luca Gasparotto who is currently out on loan has been doing his bit with the first team.

"The youngsters have to earn their right to be there with the first team, we can't just bring them up willy-nilly, they need to earn that right to train and then to be selected like Andy has done."

There were several changes to the Rangers line up for the match against Hibs, and despite the result it was an improved performance by the Gers. When asked who stood out from the game, McDowall was keen to praise the whole team rather then focus on individuals.

He said, "All of the players who have come into the squad on Friday impressed me. I didn't want to pick out individuals because I think that collectively we were excellent and did well as a group."

What do points make? Prizes. We need points Mr McDowall

He said, "All of the players who have come into the squad on Friday impressed me. I didn't want to pick out individuals because I think that collectively we were excellent and did well as a group."

what planet is this guy now inhabiting,