Promotion is absolutely imperative. An extra year to plan for the mighty challenge of competing with Ross County, Partick etc is just ridiculous.

Yes, it is - however an extra year to avoid being humiliated by the timz and sheep and rag-dolled by the Arabs (minimum of 12 games v these hateful threesome) is another matter altogether. Those who think tens of thousands will flock to see a Rangers team not challenging and regularly losing in the top tier are being wildly optimistic. It's quite possible that we'll have "sell outs" every week due to huge season ticket take up. How many turn up after Xmas if we are mid-table or worse and have taken a few heavy beatings, however, is another matter - as is how many would renew the following season.

Edited by SteveC

Yes, it is - however an extra year to avoid being humiliated by the timz and sheep and rag-dolled by the Arabs (minimum of 12 games v these hateful threesome) is another matter altogether. Those who think tens of thousands will flock to see a Rangers team not challenging and regularly losing in the top tier are being wildly optimistic. It's quite possible that we'll have "sell outs" every week due to huge season ticket take up. How many turn up after Xmas if we are mid-table or worse and have taken a few heavy beatings, however, is another matter - as is how many would renew the following season.

We also beat three SPL teams in the cup this season when we were rank rotten, including gubbing Killie 3-0. With a decent manager in place and money spent in the correct places, we would have absolutely nothing to fear against Aberdeen and Dundee United next season.

We would also attract a better caliber of player in the SPL and attendances would be much higher too. Lower league football has run its course. Time to go up now and there's nothing to fear unless the current board aren't up to it.

The SPL is a terrible standard, cowering in fear in the league below is just ridiculous.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We also beat three SPL teams in the cup this season when we were rank rotten, including gubbing Killie 3-0. With a decent manager in place and money spent in the correct places, we would have absolutely nothing to fear against Aberdeen and Dundee United next season.

We would also attract a better caliber of player in the SPL and attendances would be much higher too. Lower league football has run its course. Time to go up now and there's nothing to fear unless the current board aren't up to it.

The SPL is a terrible standard, cowering in fear in the league below is just ridiculous.

I'm not cowering in fear, I am just talking about attendances which is the subject here. We would win some games, even some games v the bigger teams - as you say, they are crap, but the crap Arabs seem to be forever papping us out of cups (before and after we dropped down the leagues).

Long term I think attendances will plummet anyway. Scottish football has been dire for decades. THe Old Firm changing the gates share out further widened an already huge gulf in resources that led to total league domination by two teams (30 years coming up - 30 years!). As EPL and La Liga games are constantly pumped into warm homes and local pubs, the long term attraction of games in shite weather while being treated like criminals as you go to the match will quickly pall.

Our situation brought fans flocking back to the ground in a show of loyalty (spelt d e f i a n c e in the Scottish Press) and if/when we go up there will be an initial surge. That surge will quickly pall if we are not challenging Septic is my opinion and will pall dramatically if we are mid tale in a dross league and take a few pumpings.

On the other hand, If we do well and win the league I expect a wave of joy, relief and GIRUY to carry us for a good few years and also, on a personal note, to die happily :) .

But, as the years pass, we'll look around and realise that winning in a two horse race in a league that no-one outside Scotland (and increasingly few within) treat as anything other than a joke, is not actually that attractive. We need a revolution in the Scottish game for the long term.

Anyway, that aside, the second of my short term scenarios above would do very nicely for the next 5 years, thanks very much, and would guarantee full houses. The former scenario would not and that is not cowering in fear, just a remark on what the attendances would be like after the initial euphoria.

Edited by SteveC

It would be a blow, but certainly not an insurmountable one. The Club will definitely fully recover either way, the only question is how long it will take.

Recovery, yes, but a full recovery where we return to winning at least one in two league titles and have a fairly regular crack at the top European competition may not happen.

When will we next feature in the CL again? Will the Europa Cup be our level instead? Fans know that Rangers - and Scottish football - have little ambition left. They know that the English league system has left us behind and that catching up is unlikely.

The new board brings integrity but what imagination has it brought? What is its blueprint for a more exciting and interesting future?

It hadn't even worked out who to appoint as manager. If that was the extent of its foresight, I'm not sure that we can be confident that it has any innovative plans to lift Rangers out of the dead end that is Scottish football.

Recovery, yes, but a full recovery where we return to winning at least one in two league titles and have a fairly regular crack at the top European competition may not happen.

It might not, but in reality it's far more likely to happen than not, so I don't understand your pessimism at all.

When will we next feature in the CL again?

That question seems very strange to me in the context here because while it's asking about an important issue, absolutely none of us know the answer for a number of reasons.

Will the Europa Cup be our level instead?

Another question which seems strange in the context here (attendances) for a whole swathe of reasons, but primarily because we've been a Europa League standard team for many years now and then there's the fact that our average attendances against several Scottish minnows recently have been as big as many a European night at Ibrox outwith the 'big games' against 'top clubs'.

Fans know that Rangers - and Scottish football - have little ambition left. They know that the English league system has left us behind and that catching up is unlikely.

Scottish football is poor these days and in more ways than one, we all know that, but to say that Rangers has 'little ambition left' is ridiculous.

The Club and the supporters have plenty of ambition, we just need a slightly more ambitious structure in terms of development, scouting etc and a management team and squad of players to have ambitions and effort/performance levels which are on par with what the Club and the support strive for.

The new board brings integrity but what imagination has it brought? What is its blueprint for a more exciting and interesting future?

It hadn't even worked out who to appoint as manager. If that was the extent of its foresight, I'm not sure that we can be confident that it has any innovative plans to lift Rangers out of the dead end that is Scottish football.

The new board's been in place for 3 weeks and they have an absolutely massive task ahead of them which they're going to need our help with, so would it maybe not be more prudent to give them some time to try to sort the mess out than to attempt to second guess them and harp on about their lack of ambition?

Edited by Zappa

This is just my take on it so don't throw the toys out the pram (that goes for everybody else)

When the wheels started in motion on the takeover of Rangers, McCall quit Motherwell as boss then McCoist told his 'close friends' he would be leaving Rangers.

McCall was the boards first pick even before they got in imo, and McCoist knew all about it. I reckon it was a very good pick by the board giving the circumstances. McCall has suddenly pulled a rabbit out the hat after such a short time in office. So kudos to the board for that.

Edited by Bearman

This is just my take on it so don't throw the toys out the pram (that goes for everybody else)

When the wheels started in motion on the takeover of Rangers, McCall quit Motherwell as boss then McCoist told his 'close friends' he would be leaving Rangers.

McCall was the boards first pick even before they got in imo, and McCoist knew all about it. I reckon it was a very good pick by the board giving the circumstances. McCall has suddenly pulled a rabbit out the hat after such a short time in office. So kudos to the board for that.

I think you are putting 1+1 together and getting the answer you want.

So if I'm correct here, Bearman, what you're saying is that the present board have found a way to impel Rangers out of the dead end of Scottish football that is the Championship and into the Premiership?

Would it also be true to say that you think that the vision and dynamism of this new board will be able to re-energize Rangers and hence the top division of the dead end that is Scottish football going forward?

Do you also think that the positivity and promise of investment that this new board have indicated, will be perceived by the boards of the SPFL and the SFA as an example to follow?

Well, Bearman, I would like to think that your visions will be fulfilled, and if I could I would like to thank you for brightening my day with your optimistic projections.

Follow, follow !!

It might not, but in reality it's far more likely to happen than not, so I don't understand your pessimism at all.

That question seems very strange to me in the context here because while it's asking about an important issue, absolutely none of us know the answer for a number of reasons.

Another question which seems strange in the context here (attendances) for a whole swathe of reasons, but primarily because we've been a Europa League standard team for many years now and then there's the fact that our average attendances against several Scottish minnows recently have been as big as many a European night at Ibrox outwith the 'big games' against 'top clubs'.

Scottish football is poor these days and in more ways than one, we all know that, but to say that Rangers has 'little ambition left' is ridiculous.

The Club and the supporters have plenty of ambition, we just need a slightly more ambitious structure in terms of development, scouting etc and a management team and squad of players to have ambitions and effort/performance levels which are on par with what the Club and the support strive for.

The new board's been in place for 3 weeks and they have an absolutely massive task ahead of them which they're going to need our help with, so would it maybe not be more prudent to give them some time to try to sort the mess out than to attempt to second guess them and harp on about their lack of ambition?

My doubts about the future for Rangers are countered by your optimism but I do not believe that Rangers' future will come close to matching the club's mostly distinguished past.

We wanted an honest board and I believe we have got one, but it needs a radical edge and I'm not sure that it possesses one. We need safe and trusted hands on the board but we need imaginative thinking too. Just now, it looks like the church elders have taken over - and I mean no disrespect to church elders.

I'll let you know when I see a sign that this board is more than a group of well-intentioned and well to do individuals.

I hope it is soon.

If your theory is correct, the idea that we have moved into a new era of transparency is misguided.

I don't think your theory is correct.