[FT] U20/Development League: Kilmarnock 1-1 Rangers

There has been a fair amount of chatter about Ryan Sinnamon coming into the first team at right back. If I was him, I would be a wee bit disappointed to be told to play in midfield for the U20's. Surely he would have been hoping to play in his presumably preferred position and make a push for what is a problematic position in the senior team?

Considering he play most of last season at LEFT-BACK, playing right midfield at least has him on the right side of the pitch.

Given how Walsh essentially exploded into the first team, could you give us a short run down of players who could give a similar service from those youngsters who play in the current u20s sides, elfideldo? We obviously know that a centre half will not exactly "explode" like an attacking midfielder ...

Noted in the Killie twitter and the report that this lad Greg Kiltie of Killie seems to be a decent striker?

Edited by der Berliner

Considering he play most of last season at LEFT-BACK, playing right midfield at least has him on the right side of the pitch.

Can't understand why young enthusiastic players are not played in their best position. Seems crazy.

Given our current crop of 'experienced' (using the term loosely) players, I would think most of the youth team would be in with a shout! :D

Walsh is extremely promising, and I know he has faded a bit recently, but we could be on to a winner with Murdoch too if he shows improvement.

Can't understand why young enthusiastic players are not played in their best position. Seems crazy.

Maybe because said player is good with his other foot too, we lack a decent left-back at that level (or he is injured), but have another good and developing right-back to cover that side better? Just as food for thought. Methinks Sinnamon has plaid twice in a row as right midfielder now, so maybe the coaches are checking him out these days. Always good to have someone able to cover a few positions.

hopefully the new regime whatever shape it takes will realise that developing young players ready for first team action is number one priority. results at U20's has to be secondary to player development..surely! if you have real prospect at right back develop him there and use some one who is not so promising to cover the leftback slot to make up the numbers. if they are all top notch then rotate it around the left back slot so no one player suffers from being played out of position..

Maybe because said player is good with his other foot too, we lack a decent left-back at that level (or he is injured), but have another good and developing right-back to cover that side better? Just as food for thought. Methinks Sinnamon has plaid twice in a row as right midfielder now, so maybe the coaches are checking him out these days. Always good to have someone able to cover a few positions.

If we had a good track record for developing youth players you might have a point. Except we don't. What we have a track record for is being inept at it and also playing players out of position to ill effect. So Bearman is perfectly right to challenge yet another illogical decision made by the club.

If we had a good track record for developing youth players you might have a point.

What has that got to do with my reply regarding the use of Sinnamon as a left-back?

Except we don't. What we have a track record for is being inept at it and also playing players out of position to ill effect. So Bearman is perfectly right to challenge yet another illogical decision made by the club.

I take it you have next to no idea why that decision regarding Sinnamon was made, so you probably have next to no idea whether it was "illogical". Sure, Bearman can ask for the reasons and I put forward a few that spring into mind immediately. Putting it down to the "club's ineptness" is just another attempt of putting the boot in, no matter what and despite a lack of any knowledge in this case. I for one will wait till elfideldo gives a more educated view on this.

Rinus Michels created "Total Football" by playing youngsters in EVERY position so that they could get an awareness of how to play the position as well as how to play AGAINST the position. Worked for them. That said, the Dutch also stopped that philosophy when a youngster hit 16 and they then naturally found their preferred position.

I don't think it is a bad thing to be played in an unnatural position as it also offers an additional challenge to a player. But when he is ready for the step into the first team, I would agree, it makes much more sense for him to play his preferred position as it also gives the 1st team coach/manager the opportunity to properly assess him.