Positive Improvements

Saturday, 21 March 2015 15:00

Positive Improvements

Written by Alice Hedworth

305f6d180a74331f2735195a22576355_XL.jpg

THE MESSAGE is simple from the manager – stay positive and keep improving.

Stuart McCall is ready to sound a rallying call to his Rangers players ahead of tomorrow’s key fixture with Hibernian.

He even admitted he may use some memories of Davie Cooper to inspire his team; Monday will be 20-years since Cooper tragically passed away.

The manager is confident that second place is still a realistic target but only if he can find the winning formula.

McCall said: “I’m looking forward to the game, they’re on a fantastic run and have won seven on the bounce and they’re playing with a lot of confidence.

“If you look back at the game at Easter Road that was the first after Ally departed and I think there was a cloud over things.

“In the recent game at Ibrox I thought Rangers deserved the draw and there wasn’t a lot in it.

“If you look at the way Hibs are going currently, beating Livingston with a last minute goal and beating Alloa 1-0, so they’re getting wins whereas recently we’ve been drawing games.

“We’ve just got to look to keep improving and that should happen naturally based on the progression over the last two games.

“All I’m looking at is each game and we need to go out and be as positive as we can.

“Somebody asked me how many points were we targeting and I haven’t even looked at that.

“It has been a whirlwind and we have to start winning football matches and I know that.

“All we do know is that Hearts are going to win the league and the rest is all to play for.

“We know in the three games this season Hibs have had a massive advantage and if we’re going to succeed in our aim to get promoted, then there is no doubt that we will be meeting Hibs in a two legger at some stage.”

The former Motherwell manager also took time in his media briefing to discuss the importance of captains in football.

McCall says his current skipper Lee McCulloch will be vital over the next nine games but also stressed that his team and every other team need more than one leader on the pitch.

He said: “Of course the captain is the leader but it shouldn’t just be the captain, we need more leaders.

“I’ve said that for many a year that leadership in football and a real captain is a dying breed.

“Harking back to the olden days when I played you had seven or eight captains on the pitch and that is dying in modern day football.

“We all need to take responsibility but when you confidence is a bit damaged it’s hard for you to then go and look after your teammates if you’re not feeling it.

“The best person I saw do that and I really learnt a lot from him, was Peter Reid.

“I joined Everton and Peter had had a great career there and he struggled for six months and the crowd actually got on to him.

“But he took so much responsibility on that park even when things were going wrong.

“It is a difficult thing to do and that shows real character and he certainly did that.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8859-positive-improvements

This will go down well in here.

Ridiculous statement from our interim manager.

Does he consider McCulloch indispensable? He is well past his best(whatever that was) and is now being accommodated at CB which is a position he cannot play well enough to be in the team.

Stuart McCall's two predecessors this season both resolutely stood by Lee McCulloch and both should now realise he was a major factor in their demise. If McCall doesn't realise this he will meet the same fate